Madrid is a lively metropolis serving up shops, restaurants, parks and historical sites galore. To recoup your energy for exploring the Spanish capital, a spa hotel comes highly recommended.
Peppered around Madrid, you can find some top hotels with state-of-the-art wellness facilities. So, when you’ve shopped until you’ve dropped you can get a pick-me-up and head back for more. Here on Culture Trip you can book one of the best spa hotels in Madrid, including the city’s oldest luxury hotel and rooms in one of its tallest and most well-known skyscrapers.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Madrid’s oldest luxury hotel and the first in the Spanish capital to have its own restaurant, Gran Hotel Inglés opened its doors in 1886; but this place feels anything but tired, with a slick modern edge catering to the 21st-century traveller. At the upscale spa – plant-based products from luxury skincare brand Sisley are used for treatments – you will find a range of offerings, including a jacuzzi and a high-tech fitness centre. Once you’ve had your pampering fix, take a seat at one of the Literary Quarter’s hottest dining spots, Lobo 8, where chef D’Angelo models dishes on the cuisine of Asia, Latin America and Europe.
The spa at the Gran Meliá Palacio de los Duques – a grand five-star hotel housed in a 19th-century palace – takes its inspiration from Asia, offering Thai therapies in rooms decorated with Burmese lacquer, Chinese antiques and Tibetan art. Easy as it will be to forget that you’re in the Spanish capital, there are several must-see attractions just a short stroll from reception, including the Plaza de España and the Royal Palace, the largest such building in Europe.
The Pestana Plaza Mayor takes its name from one of Madrid’s most historic squares, where it occupies a refined baroque building. The spa features an indoor pool in the building’s former coal cellars, where you can still admire the carefully restored original arches and buttresses. Other relaxation spaces include a sauna, a massage room, a fitness centre and a rooftop pool with Instagrammable views over the city. Book a Plaza Mayor double room (superior or premium) or a suite to bag a Juliet balcony overlooking the square or courtyard.
The Barceló Hotel occupies the first nine floors of the Tower of Madrid, which became the world’s tallest concrete building when completed in 1957. Located on the famous Plaza de España, it’s still one of the Spanish capital’s tallest structures. Barcelo’s spa features an indoor pool with views stretching beyond the city limits, a massage room, sauna and a well-equipped gym. The restaurant’s interior is the work of acclaimed Madridleño designer Jaime Hayon, and looks straight up Gran Via, one of the Spanish capital’s busiest streets.
If you’re looking for an oasis of calm amid the city, the compact but luxurious spa at the URSO hotel hits the right note. The wellness centre has a warm atmosphere, with dark wood panelling and soft lighting, where you can take a relaxing dip in the swimming pool, a moment in the hammam steam room or opt for a treatment. The grand property URSO occupies was previously the headquarters of a paper-making company and many original features, such as stained glass windows, marble floors and the central patio, remain. The magazine-worthy rooms at this place are just as inviting as the spa.
In the high-end neighbourhood of Salamanca, Villa Magna offers guests a cool, contemporary setting and a stylish stay in the capital. The five-star hotel is also home to the Mytha SPA, which offers personalised wellness and beauty treatments to leave you feeling refreshed and revitalised. Relax in the hammam and then enjoy treatments like Swedish and Anti-Stress massages, foot reflexology and the exclusive Leg School Treatment. When you’re feeling peckish, enjoy some snacks on the beautiful terrace, Spanish cuisine at Restaurante Villa Magna or Asian-inspired food at Tse Yang Restaurant.
The five-star Hotel Hospes Puerta de Alcalá is located right in front of one of Madrid’s most famous monuments, the Puerta de Alcalá, and a stone’s throw from the grand Retiro Park, one of Madrileños’ favourite places to hang out at the weekends. Rooms in this former palace have been updated to give them a modern touch with clean white walls, modern accessories and all the latest technology. The hotel’s Bodyna Spa is the ideal place to recharge your batteries. Set in the building’s old stables, the spa includes several treatment rooms, a fitness room and a jacuzzi pool.
Right on the Plaza de España, VP Plaza España is a five-star hotel where you can enjoy the finer things in life in stylish surroundings. Make the most of its spa, gym and outdoor pool; the ideal place to cool off during Madrid’s hot summers. The Biloba Spa offers a range of treatments from body wraps to purifying skin facials – try booking a manicure or pedicure before a big night on the town. Afterwards, dine in style and take in the magnificent views from the 12th-floor Ginko Restaurant and Sky Bar.
The Thai Room Wellness suite in the chic Only You hotel is a place to de-stress and enjoy the finer things in life. Float away as you enjoy massages, facials and other treatments inspired by ancient Thai customs and traditions. Ancient techniques from Southeast Asia are used in treatments such as the Traditional Thai Massage Royas Style, the Huna Massage (inspired by the traditions of Hawaii) and the Turmeric Body Wrap. After you’ve well and truly relaxed, head to El Padrino bar, a converted bookshop with an intimate, vintage atmosphere.
Jessica Jones contributed additional reporting to this article.
For more options, discover our guide to the best spa and wellness holidays in Spain and book now on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.