San Sebastián has gained an international reputation as the food capital of Europe. With its unique take on Pintxos, San Sebastián boasts an overwhelming amount of high quality food, with delicious treats awaiting the visitor around every corner. While it is almost impossible to encounter a bad meal in this Basque food jewel, we have put together a list of the top 10 restaurants not to be missed on your next visit.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Located just outside the city centre; the reputation of Arzak thrives under its head chef Juan Mari Arzak and his perfection of the Basque cuisine, with his innovations adapting traditional dishes to modern tastes. Arzak has broadened its culinary features in the last decade, seeking to remain true to Spanish cuisine at the heart of its dishes, while incorporating new tasty flavors. Arzak excels through the mouthwatering variety of flavors with an aroma library consisting of 1500 different spices. The restaurant, which has been in the family for four generations, offers an à la carte menu and a seven-course tasting menu.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hidden away in San Sebastián’s old city, Bar Sport remains somewhat of an insider tip. True to its name it is particularly popular during sport events, but it offers some beautifully assembled pintxos throughout the week. This authentic restaurant is known for its wide range of tapas and its exceptionally friendly service. It serves up traditional pintxos in a vibrant atmosphere, further impressing through its more than fair prices. Popular with the locals and with its rustic interior, Bar Sport represents a traditional Basque eating experience, brought to perfection by its delicious wines and sangria.
La Cuchara de San Telmo
La Cuchara de San Telmo perfectly represents the nueva cocina vasca (Basque new cuisine). Unlike many other tapas restaurants, the pintxos are not lined up on the counter but instead one orders from a blackboard behind the counter, with selections being freshly prepared. This restaurant has earned its reputation for some of the best pintxos in town. With its unpretentious atmosphere, it is no surprise that La Cuchara de San Telmo always boasts a lively vibe. Be prepared for the place to quickly fill up as the evening rush comes in and expect a vibrant, modern flair accompanied by traditional Basque cooking and surroundings.
Kokotxa serves its traditional dishes under the headline ‘cuisine with personality’. Its name refers to the fleshy underpart of a fish’s jaw, which is considered a delicacy in Basque cuisine. True to its label, Kokotxa serves up imaginative treats accompanied by friendly and professional service. In its intimate setting visitors are able to enjoy a market menu based on seasonal products, as well as the tasting menu which offers the latest creations. Expect to find fresh products prepared with care and full of flavor within a comfortable and relaxing atmosphere.
A Fuego Negro
A Fuego Negro‘s setting reveals dark walls and dramatic light. With a set up resembling a modern cosmopolitan bar, visitors will enjoy modern takes on the traditional Basque cuisine. It offers a tasting menu as well as a more extensive super-tasting in order to experience the full range of its dishes. Their made-to-order pintxos shows off skillful implementation of the different techniques of molecular gastronomy. A Fuego Negro not only stands out among the high number of tapas bars due to its hip ambience and buzzing interior, but also serves up some high quality grub. A youthful and refreshing take on long-standing traditional dishes.
La Viña is located on one of the busiest pintxo roads in the city and is the perfect choice for traditional cuisine. With chef Santiago Rivera taking over in 2013, its pintxos have become increasingly inventive while successfully retaining a wide range of traditional dishes. Its interior is simple and rustic, whilst unpretentious. Popular with the locals, it is however most famous for its cheesecake which some have judged to be one of the best you can find. It is not uncommon for it to sell out completely. La Viña is a down to earth eatery, where the charm of Basque culture is at its best.
Bar Martínez is located in the lively Casco Viejo but manages to stand out among the abundance of restaurants in this street. Its ambiance serves as a perfect finish or stop on a pintxos tour through the city. It offers a wide selection of cold as well as hot pintxos. Next to the modern generation of tapas bars, this place feels like a step back in time. The perfect location for experiencing Basque culture and dishes like a local.
Bar La Cepa
Bar La Cepa is a family owned business, which aims to preserve the foundations on which it was founded while extending and evolving its eating experience. It consists of a bar as well as a restaurant and has one of the most extensive wine collections in San Sebastian. Next to is selection of pintxos, you will also find a reasonably priced and terrific daily menu just for 18 Euros. The atmosphere is traditional with jamón legs hanging from the wooden bar, which are also one of its specialties. Additionally it has been recommended as the ideal place for gluten-free eatery.
This place excels through its made-to-order and freshly prepared pintxos which truly distinguish it from the competition. Bar Nestor is, much like its name suggests, primarily a food bar, with only one table. This notwithstanding, it has been rumored to have some of the best meat in the city. Visitors are offered a selection of meat to choose from, which is best accompanied by the traditional, fruity tomato salad. Bar Nestor should best be visited by steak lovers, looking for an experience of rich and savoury flavors.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.