Lavapiés, as one of Spain’s multicultural towns, is an area where you can enjoy international flavors brought to this central neighborhood of Madrid. Take a break from the streets and sit down for a meal with a cosy atmosphere. Lavapiés is a place where there are great opportunities to enjoy splendid food. Read on to find our top 10 picks of restaurants in this diverse neighborhood of Madrid.
Taberna El Sur
Taberna El Sur is located on a little street tucked away from the busy crowds of Madrid. The small and cosy restaurant is perfect for a relaxed and pleasant dining experience. Jonny, the owner, and his friendly staff do not disappoint in being incredibly welcoming and accommodating. The Taberna El Sur promises an excellent selection of dishes at a very good price. There is even the option of enjoying a few drinks and appetizers at the tapas bar before seating for your meal.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Courtesy of Chef Rebeca
The fast service of this restaurant offers the most delicious and innovative foods. La Berenjena is a small restaurant with a cosy and friendly atmosphere. Music is accompanied with the dining to create a relaxing experience. The great attention paid by the staff assures a superb service. The tasty tapas at the bar give a glimpse into the outstanding work of the chef. The restaurant is a close distance from the Atocha Train Station, making it worth stopping by and trying a highly recommended restaurant.
Los Porfiados is a brightly decorated and spacious restaurant in Lavapiés. The restaurant provides a wide variety of choice at a reasonable price. If you wish to take a break from traditional Spanish food, Los Porfiados is your ideal place. Options such as burgers and quiche are worth a try, and the delightful selection of desserts is highly recommended. The late crowds add to the special dining experience. On another note, it’s a perfect venue in which to enjoy a cocktail or two with that evening meal.
Café Melo’s is a popular place for the locals in Lavapiés. It is a stand up and eat joint that is a lively spot in the neighborhood at night. Although they have a small menu, they are known for their zapatilla, a large jamon and queso sandwich that is grilled on a flat iron grill. The café has a fun atmosphere that shows the spirit of the neighborhood. The service is fast and the staff are friendly. Overall, it’s a great place to socialise and eat while enjoying a few drinks at the bar.
Los Chuchis serves traditional English dishes with a Spanish twist in a cosy environment. The restaurant has a limited menu but the pork, sweet potatoes and apple sauce are a highly recommended dish. The quantity and quality of the food is priced reasonably. The English chef and staff promise a delightful service. It is quite a popular place in the small neighbourhood, where you can enjoy a cold beer and a glass of wine with your meal in a beautiful bistro setting.
Marisquería Perlora is a perfect restaurant for fine dining. It’s a relatively relaxed area despite being located on a busy road in Madrid. You will be greeted with a quick-bite stand-up area at the bar on entrance. An ice-counter keeping the fish and seafood chilled will be on display, giving customers a glimpse into the delicious food made by the chef. Through the back is where the main restaurant opens up to a professional dining room. The staff are quite the characters and bring a professional and attentive manner to their service.
Lamiak in Lavapiés has a sister bar in Cava Brava, Spain, and is one of the most common places in Madrid. The restaurant is very popular with the locals and it’s been praised for its delicious food and wine at extremely low prices. The pintxos-style, or tapas basque-style, food comes in very generous portions. The cosy restaurant has a great atmosphere with its helpful staff, and there is a very authentic tapas bar situated in the center.
Fuente De La Fama
The Fuente De La Fama restaurant is a great place for tourists as it provides a multi-lingual menu. They are very accommodating as the restaurant caters to both locals and tourists whether they are in a small or large group. Fuente De La Fama is within walking distance of the hotel, Catalonia Atocha. The hotel has recommended the restaurant to many guests. It is worth an evening dine during your visit as the typically Spanish food and service are highly exceptional at the Fuente De La Fama.
La Musa de Espronceda
The La Musa de Espronceda restaurant has a real Spanish tapas bar. There is a large choice of delicious tapas at a fair price. The small restaurant is filled with a great atmosphere, creating a great place to dine and a local experience. The crowds are usually filled with local people. It doesn’t matter if you don’t speak Spanish, you just point out the food that you want that is displayed on the counter.
Did you know – Culture Trip now does bookable, small-group trips? Pick from authentic, immersive Epic Trips, compact and action-packed Mini Trips and sparkling, expansive Sailing Trips.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.