Malaga claims a glorious stretch of the Costa del Sol for its own – anointing it with leafy promenades, a bustling port and golden sand beaches – and crowning the seaside peak of Gibralfaro with a Moorish Castle. As you can imagine, there are some spectacular views to be had in Malaga, never prettier than with a drink in hand.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’re wondering where to start a night out in Malaga, look no further than La Tranca, which is tough to beat on atmosphere. The small space is filled with the sound of Spanish pop music: both modern and from days gone by. Often, even the waiters sing. On top of this service with a song, there are excellent drinks options, with the house specialty here being the homemade vermouth.
Antigua Casa de Guardia
On entry to this antiquated tavern, you’d be forgiven for thinking you’ve stumbled into a warehouse. Huge oak casks commandeer one side of the room, with a row of tiled, wooden-top benches down the middle serving as a bar, of sorts. There is only a single beer tap here, because most people come for the local sweet wines and sherries poured directly from the barrel. The bill is chalked onto the bar where you stand and amended every time you order something new.
Los Patios de Beatas
Wine making in Malaga was first documented in the Roman era. There are two local wine regions – known as D.O. Sierras de Málaga and D.O. Málaga – and Los Patios de Beatas is the type of wine bar where you can try plenty of them from among the hundreds of wines available. The traditional type of Malaga wine is a sweet white produced from moscatel and Pedro Ximénez grapes, of which they have a number of options you can order by the glass, alongside classic seafood tapas such as anchovies.
Chiringuito El Cachalote
An important word you should note if you’re planning to spend a healthy amount of time by the beach anywhere in Spain is chiringuito. These beach shacks are glorified by their purveyance of chilled beverages and hearty tapas which, particularly in summer, act as the perfect counterpoint to the heat. Chiringuito El Cachalote, on the central Playa de la Malagueta, has a large, covered beach terrace and serves up plates of grilled boquerones (anchovies – a Malaga specialty) with condensation-covered glasses of chilled beer.
La Terrazita Gibralfaro
The special thing about La Terrazita is its location, in the middle of Gibralfaro Castle, which sits atop a hill with expansive views over Malaga and the Mediterranean. The walk up can be tiring, particularly in the summer heat, making La Terrazita a very welcome place to grab a cold drink on arrival. The terrace itself is shaded and surrounded by trees, but you can still get a partial view of the city from there.
La Terraza de Valeria
If you want a bar with a view that doesn’t require the climb first, La Terraza de Valeria, atop the Room Mate Valeria hotel, is open to non-guests and enjoys a commanding position over the waterfront. Fruit smoothies and classic ice-based cocktails such as daiquiris and mojitos are popular choices during the day on the al fresco terrace. In the evening, when the city lights glisten on the waters of the port, take it up a notch with a passionfruit martini.
El Rincón del Cervecero
Malaga’s very own Soho neighbourhood is the city’s hub for modern art, underground culture and trendy nightlife. As such, you’ll find the best craft beer here at various sites, although none can quite top the choice available at El Rincón del Cervecero. There are around eight draught beers at any time, four of which are selected from Malagueñan breweries (occasionally including their own collaborations) and a few hundred bottled or canned beers, listed using a top-rate classification system to help you find your new favourite tipple.
Malaga is one of the best cities in Spain to catch a flamenco show and the exterior of CalYCanto sets the scene immediately. Old flamenco and bullfighting posters are rendered in tile on the facade whilst within, the entire bar is transformed by the passionate energy of two flamenco shows a night from Thursday to Saturday. Food and drink are supplied as part of the ticket price. The boquerones en vinagre are served literally swimming in vinegar sauce.
Sala Premier Centro
Having a drink at the bizarre pub, Sala Premier Centro, is like being part of an interactive movie set. Interior partitions of thick, carved wood, a large fake tree, larger-than-life statues of fantasy knights and booths shaped like classic cars are just some of the creative interior features that nod to Hollywood films such as Lord of the Rings and Tombstone. The drinks list is vast, particularly when it comes to gin and whisky.
Chester & Punk
Mixology is an art form at Chester & Punk, in more ways than one. There are original concoctions such as pepinaso! which includes, among other things, lime juice, melon and cucumber syrup and white rum. Even the classic cocktails have a Chester & Punk twist; the mai tai Nutella speaks for itself. On top of that, each cocktail has its own backstory outlining its inspiration. Live music adds another dimension to this bar on most nights of the week.
Looking for somewhere to stay? Book into one the best family-friendly hotels in Malaga, or treat yourself to one of the top wellness and spa stays nearby. From things to do at night to the best day trips, we’ve got your itinerary covered.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.