Fancy Spain laced with North African flavours? Andalucia, in the south, has a rich cultural history as it was under Moorish rule for centuries. Nowhere are these influences stronger than in Córdoba, with its mighty Mezquita – the city mosque turned cathedral. The city is liberally sprinkled with some exotically beautiful boutique hotels – these are the best places to stay, bookable now with Culture Trip.
In a tiny alley, 15 minutes’ walk from the Mezquita, the Patio del Posadero is a small, 15th-century townhouse reinvented as a modern, Moroccan-inspired boutique hotel. A corkscrew staircase leads to a handful of rooms overlooking a cool atrium. Each is individually decorated – one has the blues and whites of Chefchaouen in northwest Morocco, with a lush cerulean bathroom and walk-in shower. Another is decorated in soft golds and creams, and comes with an original raw-stone Moorish wall. Topping them all is a small rooftop patio, with a pocket-sized pool.
Locations don’t get better than this – in the heart of Córdoba’s medieval Jewish Quarter, less than a minute’s walk from the Alcázar (Royal Palace). Rooms are spread across five early-Renaissance houses, tastefully restored, with tinkling fountains and original features alongside modernity. A restored 19th-century carriage sits next to sharply dressed staff in the lobby, and a patio-garden has exposed Roman brickwork. Rooms in whitewash and primary tones are brightened by tall windows, and there’s a rooftop with skyline views, as well as a sky-blue pool.
Built on the ruins of an expansive Roman villa, this large luxury hotel is 15 minutes on foot from the medieval centre. It has been retro-refitted to evoke Córdoba’s rich history. A long, low-lit lounge scattered with velvet sofas unfurls below a painted mudejar ceiling and horseshoe arches. A lush pool is set in a Renaissance patio trilling with birds. Rooms are minimalist-luxe – untreated-brick Romanesque arches overlook wood-panel floors, and plush queen-sized beds lead to polished grey-granite bathrooms. There’s also a decent restaurant, bar and garden-lounge for those post-sightseeing evenings when you’re footsore.
Diminutive rooms in this townhouse boutique hotel are remarkable for the views from their windows: gaze out and admire the Mezquita’s walls and bell towers or – if you book a room on the upper floor – its orange-tree-filled courtyards. The outlook is even better from the tiny rooftop sun lounge, where you’ll find a buffet breakfast served each morning. The location is hard to beat – on a restaurant-lined street, with the Royal Stables, Alcázar palace and Roman Bridge a stroll away, as well as the Mezquita itself.
This is an agreeable “poshtel”, with tastefully refitted little modern rooms – all whitewashed walls and cubic bathrooms – overlooking an atrium of artfully positioned sofas. Think of it as a super-handy base – the main attraction is the convenient location, in the old town next to the Palacio de la Merced. Staying here puts you mere minutes’ walk from the Mezquita. There’s even parking laid on – in a narrow street – while the palmy green Plaza de Colon gardens are an easy wander away, along with lively affordable restaurants and cantinas.
Not found what you’re looking for? For a different place to stay, book into one of the best hotels in Cordoba for every traveller. And if you’re looking for inspiration for your itinerary, we’ve compiled a list of the reasons why you should visit Cordoba at least once in your lifetime.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.