As one of the Canary Islands, Lanzarote is one of the most loved Spanish destinations. It is home to spectacular volcanic landscapes, year-round warm weather, postcard-worthy beaches, fresh fish and the peculiar papas arrugadas (wrinkly potatoes).
The otherworldly outcrop certainly has plenty to offer in terms of resort-style hotels, but how do you choose which is best when you have children in tow? From kids’ clubs and playgrounds to sports facilities, spas, mini-discos and quiz nights, we have the lowdown on which hotels are best geared up to please everyone in the family. Book your stay now with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
When it comes to location, the Iberostar Selection Lanzarote Park gets top marks. The resort, designed by the renowned Canarian architect César Manrique, boasts a convenient location right on the seafront of Playa Blanca, where there’s lots to do and see. But you won’t need to venture far to find fun, as this hotel will keep the whole family busy for days. Amenities include two children’s pools with eight slides, a kids’ club, tennis courts, a fitness centre and a state-of-the-art spa. And, to refuel, there are two restaurants and five bars to skip between.
This suite-only hotel has everything thought out when it comes to travelling as a family, with specially tailored rooms and services. For families with little ones, choose the Elba Magic Kids room, which comes decorated with fun cartoon animals. The focus on kids doesn’t stop at the rooms; the Elba Lanzarote Royal Village Resort is also home to Pepeland, a kids’ club for children aged four to 18, which goes above and beyond to keep everyone entertained. Here, the features include a park with swings and games, a cinema room, a ball pond and video games, and there’s even a mini-amphitheatre for budding thespians. If you can drag the kids away, the hotel is ideally placed to explore the nearby Timanfaya National Park.
There’s no room for boredom at Los Zocos Club Resort. With multiple swimming pools, a kids’ club, live music and a range of sports activities, this resort has something to keep all members of the family happy. Older kids will enjoy the hotel’s location close to Las Cucharas Beach, great for windsurfing and kitesurfing, while younger kids can try their hand at football, archery, minigolf or beach volleyball, to name just a few of the activities on offer. Parents get to enjoy their own range of activities, from relaxing at the spa to working on their handicap on the golf course. Keep things stress-free by choosing a suite complete with a mini-kitchen, so you can rustle up treats as you go.
If you’re a sports-mad family, this hotel is for you. With more than 80 sports and 500 activities on offer, this resort is the perfect getaway for restless kids and parents of all ages. Try beating your personal best on the resort’s own athletics track, make the most of island life with beach tennis or volleyball, or channel your inner diva with ballroom dancing lessons. Kids not only have endless activities to choose from but can also enjoy face painting, crafting and even treasure hunting at the kids’ club. One of the best things about the resort is that most sports activities are included in the price, leaving you free to challenge yourself by trying something new. If all that activity takes its toll on your body (or you just want to escape the kids for a bit), the hotel also has a well-equipped spa with a steam room, a Jacuzzi, a sauna and several treatment rooms.
Guests rave about the warm and friendly service at this four-star resort. You can focus on family time instead of worrying about the bill with what is one of the best all-inclusive hotels in Lanzarote by selecting this option – though there are others too. Once you’ve settled into one of the smart rooms – all of which have balconies – head out to explore what the hotel has to offer. The beachside Hipiclub can keep younger kids amused all day long, and, in the evenings, family-friendly entertainment is on offer six nights a week. Older kids can make the most of the hotel’s seaside location and learn to scuba dive at the hotel’s very own diving school. Parents can take it easy at the spa and by relaxing poolside, or, for something a little more active, tennis and golf are also on offer.
This 242-room hotel is packed with family-friendly facilities, including a pirate ship and slides in one of the main pools, a separate toddlers splash pool, two playgrounds and a free kids’ club for babies right through to teenagers. Even the buffet restaurant has a pirate-themed section, as well as a make-your-own ice-cream sundae station. While the kids are being entertained, there’s plenty for the adults to do, with a small spa, tennis, football and volleyball on offer and the beach being a mere 3-minute walk away. The fun carries into the evening, with mini-discos, followed by a full family-friendly entertainment schedule of quizzes and shows. Accommodation includes a range of family suites, bungalows and apartments.
At 530 rooms, this is certainly one of the larger family-friendly hotels on the island of Lanzarote, with plentiful facilities to boot. The architecture is Spanish hacienda-inspired, and there’s a distinctively Iberian feel to this sprawling resort and its palm-dotted sub-tropical gardens. A kids’ club caters for ages four to 11 and features its own playground, pool and sandpit, as well as daily activities that range from t-shirt painting to sand sculpting.
An all-inclusive resort with plenty for adults and kids alike, this hotel has a whopping five pools, three of which are just for the young ‘uns. Parents will undoubtedly enjoy the beachfront location, sports facilities, bars and sun terraces, while staff entertain your nippers in the kids’ club if they’re between the ages of four and 12. There are both daytime and evening programmes on offer for kids, as well as organised teen activities. Family suites are your best bet if you have more than one child, and babysitting services are available for a fee.
Budget but not too basic, the 16-room Hotel Rural Finca de la Florida is located in the heart of the island and surrounded by vineyards. Don’t be fooled by its seemingly remote location – the hotel is not only well-positioned for exploring the Timanfaya National Park, but it is also only a 15-minute drive from the capital. It has enough to keep the whole family entertained, too, with a swimming pool, a kids’ splash pool, a playground, a tennis court and mini-golf on site. Most rooms facilitate extra beds and cots, and there is even a babysitting service (for an extra charge).
With four pools, plus two separate kids’ pools, this vast (598-room) all-inclusive resort, has plenty of space for everyone in the family to enjoy themselves. Young ones (aged four to 12) can burn off steam at the kids’ club, on one of two playgrounds or at the disco, while adults get to enjoy the swim-up bar, spa and extensive sports facilities, as well as the art classes and nightly entertainment programme. Meals are included, and there is a choice of an international buffet and three other restaurants (Mexican, Asian and Canarian).
A short walk to the beach, three pools, a colourful kids’ playground, a tennis court and a kids’ club make this hotel the perfect base for a family holiday. All three of the pools are outdoor and heated in the winter, and, for the adults, there is a solarium and fitness centre. Rooms are bright and reasonably spacious, with family rooms accommodating four (extra beds and cribs available). All-inclusive meals are served buffet-style at the main restaurant, with options available for kids, but, if you fancy something different, there are also countless restaurants within easy walking distance of the hotel.
Leon Beckenham contributed additional reporting to this article.
None of these take your fancy? Discover where else you can stay in Lanzarote, or check out our pick of the best hotels in Lanzarote for every traveller. For some indulgent options, check out the best luxury hotels in Lanzarote, or the top resorts in Lanzarote, bookable with Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.