Home to two of the biggest football clubs in the world, Madrid is a paradise for lovers of the beautiful game.
Football in Madrid
Madrid has three main football teams, with two sitting at the very top of the sport. Games are played all year round with the exception of the summer months. The La Liga season runs from August until May.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In recent years, Real Madrid and Atlético Madrid have competed in the latter stages of the UEFA Champions League (UCL) and have performed reasonably well in the domestic league and cups. Attending games in Spain is a lot easier than in other countries, but it’s still a good idea to book and travel in advance of matches.
The Champions League and Madrid
The city has become synonymous with the Champions League, Europe’s top club competition. Both Real and Atlético have a fearsome reputation in the UCL, although the 2019 competition sees two English clubs come to town.
Both Madrid teams have faced each other in the final of the Champions League in recent years. Real beat Atlético in 2014 and did the same in 2016 on their way to becoming the most successful team in the history of the competition.
Speaking to Culture Trip in Madrid at the culmination of the Heineken Unmissable Moments tour, a leading sports journalist highlighted why the competition means so much to the city. “Real Madrid have won it [the UCL] three times in a row, which has never happened before. The city will now have hosted the final for the fifth time, which is also a first.”
Fans from all over the continent and beyond have visited the city on Tuesday and Wednesday nights, which is when the Champions League games are contested. The final takes place on a Saturday in late May or early June.
“The Champions League and World Cup are on the same level,” our Madrid-based writer continues. “People want to win them as they are the main tournaments in the world. I went to Indonesia with the trophy as part of a Heineken world tour and saw it first-hand. People there wake up at all hours to watch the games.”
Where to watch football in Madrid
The home of Atlético Madrid, the newest stadium in the city is full of the modern touches fans demand nowadays. Spain’s King Felipe is a big fan of Atlético and often attends games – in fact, he was present for the first match played here, in 2017. Prior to hosting La Liga games, the stadium was primarily used for track and field events and was part of the city’s failed 2016 Olympics bid. The 2019 UCL final elevates the stadium on a global scale. Capacity: 67,829.
If you’re looking for something a little different, a trip to the district of Puente de Vallecas is highly recommended. Rayo Vallecano might be in the shadow of their more famous neighbours but the club has a charm the others can’t match. Rayo are known to bounce between the Primera and Segunda divisions, but in past seasons the likes of Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo have lit up the stadium. Capacity: 14,505.
Where to watch the game without a ticket
With the incredible success of the two Madrid-based teams in the top division and Real’s dominance of the UCL in recent times, fans have become accustomed to watching important games in communal spaces. If you don’t have tickets to the big games, these are an excellent way to watch matches with other supporters.
Plaza de Colón has hosted fans for domestic games and even been the place where supporters have watched the national team win trophies. Close by, the Avenida de Felipe II also offers outdoor “fan zones” where you can soak up the atmosphere of the big games.
By far the most common way to watch games is in a bar, which is a relaxed environment where fans can mingle with one another.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.