Looking for somewhere to stay in Serbia’s fourth-largest city? Kragujevac will surprise the pessimistic when it comes to accommodation options, with a decent range of quality hotels and boutique equivalents in and around town. These are our recommendations when it comes to sleeping in the centre of Šumadija.
Plenty of different room options are available at this boutique hotel a short walk from the Memorial Park in Kragujevac. The hotel restaurant is a pleasant surprise too, offering quality Serbian food at fantastic prices, value for money being a common trend throughout the entire establishment. Those looking to stay in town should probably look elsewhere, but that’s a minor gripe when it comes to the full sheet of Hotel Radović.
A classy option in the very centre of Kragujevac, Hotel Central Lux is every bit as modern as it is professional and welcoming. Tidiness is of optimum importance, something that many hotels in Serbia seem to have forgotten, but there is plenty of character to go along with it. Parking must be paid for, so be sure to contact the hotel in advance if that’s required.
Located close to the train and bus stations of Kragujevac, Hotel Lazarević is an ideal place to seek out if you’re looking to immerse yourself in Serbia’s fourth-largest city and aren’t afraid to ask for a little bit of help along the way. The staff are generally willing to help out with any questions, and even organise tours around the region. Despite its central location, the hotel is a peaceful place to rest one’s head in Kragujevac.
The areas directly around bus and train stations in Serbia rarely come recommended, and Kragujevac is no different. With that in mind, Hotel Trio ‘O’ bucks the trend and presents a hugely enjoyable hotel offer, wrapped up in an affordable price. The staff are friendly and the location obviously makes it easy to explore the town and surroundings, and the rooms are functional if a little on the small side.
Don’t be alarmed by the majestic colonial name of this place – Hotel President de Luxe is a surprisingly affordable option in the centre of town. It isn’t directly in the centre of town so there is plenty of peace, and the staff do their utmost to ensure a pleasant stay for each and every guest. The suite is particularly fantastic, so those willing to splash out a little should definitely make a beeline for that.
It isn’t the cheapest option in town, but then is any hotel with a spa and wellness centre ever included in the ‘cheap’ bracket? Hotel Ema is arguably the most romantic hotel in Kragujevac, undoubtedly the place to head for champagne dinners and stolen glances throughout the evening.
It might be a kilometre outside of the city centre, but that hasn’t stopped F Apartmani Kragujevac from becoming one of the most popular accommodation options in the city of Jovan Ristić and his marvellous sideburns. A hugely spacious apartment with all the mod cons (including a glorious bath, which absolutely should be listed under ‘mod cons’), if you’re looking for somewhere outside the city centre but high on amenities, this is the place. There is even a toaster, which is immensely rare when it comes to Serbia.
As much a guesthouse as a hotel, Villa Jelena has gained a fine reputation among solo travellers throughout the region. The excellent location in the heart of Kragujevac likely goes a long way towards that, although the convenience and functionality of the guesthouse itself surely doesn’t hurt. The Wi-Fi connection can be a little frustrating, but there are plenty of cafes nearby for those who can’t stay away from the internet.
Travelling to more destinations in the country? Read our guide on the best hotels in Serbia, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.