A town of just 60,000 inhabitants, Užice often gets overlooked in favour of the magnificent nature in its vicinity. Those who decide to skip the Serbian town are missing out on a terrific mix of history, modernity and some of the nation’s best sense of humour.
The label ‘Serbia’s San Francisco’ might be a little over the top, but the rebellious city of Užice more than holds it own when it comes to keeping visitors entertained. 24 hours is never enough, but the city is tailor-made for those looking to spend a day here; so let’s start way back in the 13th century.
Explore the Old Town
The term ‘old town’ is beginning to lose some of its authenticity in Europe, as locations take advantage of its popularity and fill cobblestoned streets with modern cafes, bars and restaurants. Not so in Užice, where the Stari Grad is arguably the dictionary definition of legitimate. Sat patiently on the hills above town, Užice’s Old Town almost resembles a benevolent patriarch. Nothing can happen here without the ruins of this 13th century fortress taking notice.
The fortress is a collection of ruined buildings today, but it represents an important chapter in Serbian history. It is accessible via foot (or by taxi, if you’re feeling particularly lazy). Even those ambivalent to the intangible majesty of history will be impressed by the beautiful views.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Terrify your doctor and investigate rebellion
With the past firmly behind you, head back towards the modern centre to delve into more contemporary happenings in Užice. The city centre might be frustratingly low on top quality restaurants, but those who aren’t worried about cholesterol damage should seek out a dish called ‘komplet lepinja’. A greasier-than-grease combination of meat, bread and eggs, any restaurant in Užice worth its salt will offer it front and centre.
Almost every major town in Serbia is home to a National Museum, and Užice’s ranks among the best. One wing looks at the fascinating and eventful life of local painter Mihailo Milovanović, but it is the story of the Užice Republic that garners the most interest. A tiny military mini-state in the heart of Yugoslavia, it was the first liberated European territory in World War II. That freedom lasted just 67 days, but it was a vital moment in the wider context of the war.
Head to the beach
Serbia is a landlocked country, but the stubborn Serbs aren’t going to let something as feeble as geography stop them! A number of ‘beaches’ have sprung up throughout the country (although the use of the coastal term must be taken with a fairly extravagant pinch of salt). Built in the 1950s, the course of the Đetinja river was altered in order to create this little summertime oasis and provide much-needed respite from the harsh summer sun. It is wildly popular with the people of Užice no matter what generation we’re talking about, from fresh-faced youths all the way to curmudgeonly elderly folk.
If you are unlucky enough to be in Užice on a drizzly day, the beach might not be your best bet. If that is the case, the Jokanović House and architecture of the centre are more than fascinating enough to keep you entertained. The Balkans is famous for monolithic concrete structures, and nowhere is this more apparent than charming little Užice.
Relax in Yugoslavia’s most beautiful square
If there is still room in your stomach following the cholesterol-friendly Komplet Lepinja at lunch, Naša Kuća is a fantastic restaurant to seek out for your evening meal. Traditional food is allied with famous Užice humour, with plenty of rakija on hand if the conversation isn’t flowing as much as you’d like. We’re not going to say it is the best restaurant in town, but we’re yet to eat anywhere better.
In keeping with the mutinous nature of Užice, life here revolves around a square that is still named after the Partisans of World War II. Partisan Square was widely considered the most beautiful in Yugoslavia, a wide space full of life and that western Serbian charm. Its best days are likely behind it from an aesthetic point of view, but Partisan Square still bubbles with excitement and energy once the sun has gone down. Simply choose any of the bars and cafes in the vicinity, put your feet up (don’t actually put your feet up, that’s a little disrespectful) and soak in the fulfilment of a fine day in Užice.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.