Once a forgotten island, New Holland has become a buzzing hub of cultural life in the city. Year round there are a ton of things to do on the island, thanks to the constantly changing and expanding program of events and services. Here are some of the best things to see and do throughout the year.
Learn new asanas
Each summer season, New Holland organizes a series of regular yoga events and workshops that take place right on the grass. Here guests can enjoy the balmy weather and the fresh air. Join a morning practice and continue your day with a cup of coffee or juice at one of the nearby cafes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Jazz it up
Wednesdays are for jazz. For years, New Holland has been organizing weekly summer jazz concerts at the ‘Bottle’ yard stage. Guests can relax on one of the restaurants’ terraces and enjoy the concert with a glass of wine. If this sounds like your cup of tea, make sure to arrive in advance – the tables get full early!
Wine and dine
Home to several restaurant projects, New Holland has a lot to offer foodies from all over the world. Vietnamese, Georgian, Israeli, Mexican, Italian – all these cuisines are at home in New Holland. Feel free to pick any restaurant, they are all delicious.
Dance with stars
One of the most renowned Russian ballerinas, Diana Vishneva, recently opened a dance studio called Context.Pro in New Holland. The studio provides classes in classical ballet, contemporary dance, stretching and more. The studio is open year round, and in the summer, special programs like master classes and open air practices are available as well.
Catch the festival season
Summer is the season to be outside and active, and in New Holland, summer is truly a hot time. Every year, the island plays host to multiple festivals, as well as cultural events and charity programs. Each festival showcases the best of its subject matter, including art, music and gastronomy. The festivals and programs are regularly updated on New Holland’s website, so take a peak.
It’s time to hone your chess strategy and maybe learn some new chess moves. As part of the summer program in New Holland, chess is readily available for players and admirers. Play on the second Sunday of every month, or practice for an open tournament.
Get a tan
New Holland is one of a few places in the city where people can lie down on the grass. Starting this year, New Holland has also implemented a real beach zone with sand and comfy lounge chairs. Combine this with homemade ice cream and amazing events, and you’ve got yourself a fun weekend planned.
New Holland is preparing an extensive movie program that will delight viewers throughout the summer season with open air movie screenings. On top of that, two film festivals will take place. The Beat Film Weekend is a short film festival featuring movies concerning music, contemporary art, street culture and other burning topics. Center Festival is an annual festival of documentaries about city life and culture.
Go ice skating
Each winter New Holland constructs a big ice skating rink decorated in lights and holiday cheer. It is so carefully decorated that it almost has a movie-like ambiance. Stay active by skating around the park and maybe make a few friends. When you’re all skated out, head to one of the restaurants or bars to warm up with a glass of red wine.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.