Bucharest is home to dozens of hostels, which serve up everything from rooftop views and dreamy dorms to free popcorn and cooking lessons. Whether you crave some Old Town magic, a base for a trip to the Palace of the Parliament, a chill-out zone before you head out on a Dracula tour or a night of pub crawling, you’ll find a price-friendly spot in the Romanian capital with relative ease. Save some lei in Bucharest and make new travel buddies – here’s our pick of the best hostels in town.
If you want to save some cash during your stay in Bucharest, Mil Pasos Penthouse Hostel is the ideal place to start. Located in the heart of the city, they offer a free map, a free portion of pasta, a free breakfast – and even free Netflix. The enormous communal living room serves up a unique panoramic view of the surrounding buildings. Along with the generous service, the location is a real winner here – there are dozens of bars, cafes, restaurants and stores right on the doorstep.
You won’t get bored here at the Little Bucharest Old Town Hostel. The popular themed nights are sociable – film nights, cooking evenings and storytelling events are all part of the vibe. Book into a dorm room, grab a cold beer and chill in the kitchen or common room. The whole place has a fresh feel, with a cheerful use of colour. If you fancy a change of scenery, some of the city’s best cafes, bars and sights are just outside your door, in the pumping heart of Old Town Bucharest.
The main quirk here at Taxi Hostel is that they’ll arrange to pick you up, by taxi of course. On arrival, you’ll also receive a personalised self-check-in service for your introduction. It’s a family-run hostel where strangers and roomies turn into your new-found family as you lounge on the terrace over a movie or while munching gogoși (doughnut-like pastries) There’s a fridge in every room so you can keep your supplies chilled.
There are definitely perks to spending a night or three at Friends Hostel. All hostel staff are fluent in Romanian and English, and their cheerful and chatty attitude will make you feel at home from the get-go. Room design is simple and consistent, with wooden bunks and different colour schemes for each room. The expansive common room is an ideal spot to lounge in, plan your tour of the city with a free map from reception or watch a film on the big screen.
Popcorn Hostel has hit a niche and is popular amongst long-term globetrotters – the owner is a keen backpacker and has many tales to tell. While chatting travel, take advantage of the hostel’s quirks, like free popcorn and coffee on the side. As a huge bonus, you’ll be kipping right next to Bucharest’s Gara du Nord train station – so connecting to Moldova, Bulgaria or Hungary is easy from here. You can have a game of table football while you sip a bere (beer) and admire the sublime views from the balcony.
Georgeta Gheorghe contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.