With golden beaches, clear Atlantic water and world-class surfing spots, it’s no wonder four million visitors book their summer holidays in the sun-soaked Algarve each year. Here’s our pick of the best cosy-yet-cheap hotels, dotted along the Faro to Lagos coastline.
A favourite of the fly and flop brigade, the Algarve makes a strong case for being one of the best summer destinations in Europe. Whilst the area is awash with five-star resorts and golf courses, you don’t have to spend a fortune to indulge in its delights. There are plenty of budget-friendly hotels in Portugal’s southernmost region.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Quintinha da Foz is a pretty guesthouse that sits on a prime patch of green. It’s equidistant between Tavira and Santa Luzia, with popular beach Praia da Ilha de Tavira just down the road. Bikes are available to explore the nearby Ria Formosa Natural Park, and a breakfast made with local produce is served al fresco by the shimmering pool each morning.
Tucked away on an unassuming hillside, the bougainvillea-clad Vale Fuzeiros Nature Guest House sits on farmland and offers glorious views across the countryside – best seen from its sun-drenched pool. Inside, expect beamed ceilings, minimalist bedrooms with French doors, and airy, tiled bathrooms. The local breads and cakes served for breakfast should be eaten on the outdoor verandah while taking in lungfuls of the fresh country air.
For a smart option in the heart of pretty Portimao, it’s got to be Villa Rio. Rooms are fitted with four-poster beds, windows that look across to the river and twin sinks in the bathrooms. Opt for the deluxe suite if you can, as light pours in through the large arched windows. These lead to your very own private balcony where views stretch across one of the city’s leafy gardens.
Sometimes, all you need is a hotel with a stellar pool – especially when you’re visiting the perennially sunny Algarve. Luckily, Hotel Don Rodrigues offers just that; its glistening al fresco pool is ideal for kids and adults alike. Rooms here are well-appointed and make for a fantastic base to explore the surrounding area. The white sand Barril Beach is just five kilometres away – a short drive, bike or walk, if you’re up for it.
With two bars, a spa, an outdoor pool and a games room, it might be hard to pull yourself away from Velamar Boutique Hotel once you arrive (but there’s an excellent beach a short walk away if you do). Instead of being hidden away in a basement, the spa here sits on one of the hotel’s higher floors – there’s a panorama of the countryside from the treatment rooms – so be sure to indulge in one of its Japanese-inspired massages.
With its traditional Portuguese town villa facade, you’d be forgiven for thinking this Faro gem is a posh hotel rather than a youth-filled hostel. A daily buffet breakfast is provided here, and make sure you stick around for one of its legendary sangria and barbeque nights. When the sea calls, rent one of the hostel’s bikes and zoom past the wild flamingos and salt fields on your way to the beach.
Plonked in the traditional fishing village of Olhos de Água, with the marvellous golden sand Praia Maria Luísa beach just a stroll away, Clube Maria Luisa is a modern apartment-style option for your next stay on the Algarve. Each of the apartments, which sleep between two and four guests, are spacious and light-filled, and there’s a large pool to enjoy as well (when you can drag yourself away from the beach, that is).
With that home away from home feel, Lagos Charming Villas is located on a quiet residential street, just one mile from the expansive Meia Praia Beach and its teal-hued waters. There are three rooms to book in the villa as well as a private apartment – opt for the apartment with the garden for an airy space and an outdoor hot tub to sit in come nightfall complete with a crisp glass of wine.
Nina Santos contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.