What used to be an old print shop is now a cosy bar where you can “meet your friends for drinks and make new ones,” or so the owners say – one of whom, Max Trovarelli, is still running the old business and selling prints online in between mixing cocktails. Located in the heart of gay-friendly Príncipe Real, Shelter is a fun, relaxed spot where you can sip a special cocktail or craft beer after work. Italian bar snacks and wine are on offer on Mondays and Wednesdays.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Corvo stands out for its glass facade and black tiling, with a colourfully decorated countertop inviting patrons to savour its delicious cocktails, oysters and cheese plates. The narrow stairs leading down to the basement reveal a hidden dance floor, open until 3am.
The longest-standing (and by far the largest) gay club in Lisbon has been around since 1981, carrying with it many legendary nights and stories to tell. Situated in Príncipe Real, the club has two dance floors and a resident DJ. It also hosts some of the best drag queens in Portugal, including Rebecca Bunny, Sylvia Koonz, Lexa Black and Marge Mellow. Trumps is simply a must-visit!
Finalmente’s modest entryway will lead you to a world of excited people gathered to see just one thing, and one thing only: drag shows. Since 1976, Finalmente has been charming the LGBTQ scene with lip-sync performances, with special nights dedicated to showcasing Lisbon’s up-and-coming drag talents. “You never know what to expect and anything can happen,” Miguel Rita, co-creator of Miss Drag Lisboa, tells Culture Trip. The shows happen at around 3am, so grab a few drinks beforehand.
Posh Lisbon has recently taken Lisbon’s LGBTQ scene by storm with its luxurious, extravagant parties. According to Rita, you’ll find “the greatest drag talents in the city” here, lots of special effects and over-the-top lighting. Dance the night away to electronic music, world-class DJ sets and more – all for an incredibly inexpensive entry fee.
Who’s up for hitting the steam rooms and then enjoying a cool drink? If so, head to Trombeta Bath. With its private saunas and Turkish bath, this venue is unlike any other. Fear not, though – there’s also a top-notch bar serving quality drinks and playing a range of tunes.
49 da ZDB
Nestled in the maze-like streets of Bairro Alto, 49 da ZD is the place to go for raucous parties featuring DJ sets and live bands. Aside from being very LGBTQ-friendly, one of the best things about this bar is that it has its own intimate rooftop – setting the stage for those long, hazy summer nights.
This article is an updated version of a story created by Nina Santos.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.