Lagos in Portugal has everything from spectacular Atlantic Ocean-side beaches to a buzzing nightlife circuit. Spend days on powdery sands, or kayak through blue waters by picturesque cliffs at Ponta de Piedade, and dance in clubs and bars until the early hours. Historic Lagos sits within ancient Moorish walls, so you’ll also find impressive churches and a 17th-century fort. Check into one of these hostels – bookable with Culture Trip – for a budget-friendly trip to remember.
Prepare for nightly free pub crawls and legendary booze cruises at this party-centric backpackers’ destination, which endeavours to give you “the best time of your life that you will never remember”. There are drinking games in the common room before you hit the town for an evening of challenges – involving shots. If that’s not enough alcohol for you, booze cruises come with unlimited beer and sangria, and party games like beer pong. Chef Mama is on hand to ease hangovers with unlimited breakfast crepes and lemon tea.
Expect to make friends for life at this central hostel. Meet fellow travellers at organised meal nights, themed parties and limbo dancing nights in the garden bar. Talk about the night before by the rooftop pool with views of the ocean and, if you’re up long enough, sunrise. There’s also a trendy sofa-strewn common room, large shared kitchen and terrace for al fresco dining. Book a dormitory bed with locker storage or, if you want a little privacy, a private room or suite with coastal-themed wallscapes and a sea-view balcony.
Take it easy at Hutch Hostel: the chilled-out team will organise your daily activities from yoga and surfing classes to dolphin-watching and late-night beach bonfires. Fancy exploring the wider area? The hostel has its own tour van to take guests to Benagil or Alvor for days or nights out. Expect colourful dorm rooms, a fully equipped kitchen and a common room with a Nintendo Wii and a big TV that’s perfect for movie nights. You’re also next door to all the bars and only 10 minutes from the beach.
Simply decorated but with everything you could need, these suites promise a comfortable and private stay. There are only three rooms: all large with TVs, private bathrooms and fully equipped kitchens. Choose the balcony room, and you can enjoy a home-cooked breakfast al fresco with lovely views over Lagos Old Town. The three-star guest house is near bars, restaurants and sites, with Meia Beach no more than 10 minutes away.
Book into this centrally located four-star destination for a room with stylish accessories, a private bathroom and a fully equipped kitchen or kitchenette. Some rooms even have balconies, plus there’s a rooftop terrace for all. Downstairs, kick back in the large chill-out spot, complete with sofas, hanging chairs and good wifi, and reserve a table at the onsite Italian restaurant. Heading out to the beach? This pet-friendly hostel rents out surfboards, and you can borrow a bicycle free of charge.
Gather friends old and new to hit this B&B’s rooftop, where you can chill in a hot tub, lounge on a canopy-topped sofa and fire up a barbecue grill. Cosy, balcony-clad rooms have homely touches like TVs, kitchenettes in the studios (there’s also a big communal kitchen), plus private bathrooms featuring tubs and toiletries. Make the most of the buffet breakfast here before heading out to nearby Ana Beach or the town, five minutes by car.
When you’re not luxuriating by the pool and sipping sangria at this adults-only guest house, take refuge from the sun in the games room with a pool table and library. Your mornings should begin with continental breakfast – but leave enough space to graze on treats like pastel de natas (Portuguese pastry), offered day-long at the hostel. Individually decorated dorms or private rooms (some with ensuites) come with free toiletries and handy in-room wifi. The town is a half-hour walk away, while Porto de Mós Beach is reachable within just 15 minutes; to speed things up, rent a hotel bike. If you’re travelling by car, there’s also free off-site parking.
Meia Beach is only a five-minute walk from Cloud 9 Hostel. After a day by the ocean, head to the common room, grab a beanbag, and take a break from the sun in front of the TV. Expect colourful wall art throughout the place, which is as bright as the atmosphere. As the evening draws in, enjoy sangria nights on the rooftop terrace with city and sea views before heading out on a bar crawl through the main strip in Lagos, right on your doorstep.
Spend your time in Lagos wisely by visiting the best restaurants and enjoying the best things to do in town. Then, why not take the party to the rest of the Algarve? With Culture Trip, you can book the best apartments in the region as well as the best hotels. On a budget? Check out our guide to the best budget hostels in Lagos, Algarve, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This is an updated rewrite of an article originally by Nina Santos.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.