Porto is the second-largest city in Portugal, where you can eat cod in the Gomes de Sá style and wash your desert down with a glass of world-famous Port wine while taking in views of the River Douro and the iconic Luiz I Bridge. The city has a wide range of attractive hotels to suit the needs and budgets of most travellers, here are some of the best – all bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Torel Palace Porto
Torel Palace has an elegant 19th-century facade topped by an impressive domed skylight. The rooms, all named after great Portuguese writers, are the epitome of palatial, enriched with high ceilings ornate with stucco work. In the Royal Suites, bathtubs come in illuminated onyx, hidden in mirrored cabins. Downstairs, Blind Restaurant (a nod to Saramago’s novel Blindness) draws on local produce. Tables spill out under the pink facade and overlook an emerald green lap pool.
Flores Boutique Hotel & Spa
Flores Boutique Hotel & Spa, housed in an attractive 18th-century building, lies on one of the nicest streets in Porto, brimming with concept stores and stylish boutiques, minutes from most of the main city sights. It provides a mix of rooms and apartments, the latter come with kitchenettes, plus an excellent spa with a sauna and indoor pool.
This hostel offers not only affordable accommodation but an immersion into the art world with a permanent gallery. Dormitories and rooms are named after artists who played a role in the cultural evolution of the city and include twin and triple rooms, four- and six-bed dorms, as well as a six-bed all-female dorm. It all sits within a beautifully restored early 20th-century building in the trendy Miguel Bombarda district.
Le Monumental Palace
Le Monumental Palace is an essay in art deco elegance. Housing 63 luxurious rooms and 13 suites, many with glorious views over the city, there’s also a spa with a dazzling indoor swimming pool. Food is worth lingering over, from the sushi and sashimi at Yakuza by Olivier to the elegant Le Monument where French chef Julien Montbabut brings his considerable skills to the Portuguese table.
Housed in what was previously the Bolsa do Pescado (fish market), long an emblematic landmark in Porto, Vincci has 95 sleek rooms with bold decor and a restaurant, 33 Almeda. There, between the marble columns, try the octopus carpaccio and the traditional bacalhau (dried cod) with chickpeas and cornbread. Walk it off along the bordering River Douro.
Beautifully restored to its original 19th-century glory, this 12-room former palace pays homage to the navigators who brought prosperity to Portugal and started its Golden Age. Interiors are impressive with rooms radiating off a grand central staircase. Expect open bathtubs, exquisite silks and high ceilings. On the ground floor, Bartolomeu Bistro is the perfect place to explore local wine.
Vila Foz Hotel & SPA
In the desirable district of Foz, where the Douro meets the Atlantic Ocean, stands the stately 19th-century Vila Foz. Just seven rooms and a restaurant exist in the original villa, with many period elements still in place from tiles to parquetry to high, stucco ceilings now painted in pistachio greens and macaroon pink. Linked by a corridor is the modern wing with 61 further rooms, a spa and an indoor pool, all designed by Nini Andrade Silva.
Housed in the iconic Cafe A Brasileira, which opened in 1903 and was the first place to serve coffee in a cup, this new hotel has 89 rooms and suites across several floors. Each floor takes inspiration from one of the spices or products brought back during Portugal’s maritime expansion from coffee to pink pepper. The ground-floor restaurant is well worth a visit with delicious food and a lively, fun atmosphere.
Canto de Luz
This charming B&B offers a variety of rooms from light-filled garden-view suites to the Urban Retreat Suites, which come with a patio and kitchen. There’s also the two-bedroom Villa Almada, set in the gardens of the main house, which has a private pool and a chef on request. All rooms come with Nespresso machines and Amazon smart speakers. Breakfasts here are legendary, with an ever-changing rota of delicious products sourced from the local markets.
Armazém Luxury Housing
Porto is filled with unique architecture and Armazém, based inside a 19th-century iron warehouse, is one of its most extraordinary hotels. Run by a mother-and-daughter team, it’s filled with special touches and experiences, such as yoga classes and city tours, so guests can enjoy a memorable stay. This lovely 12-guest room hotel is also family-friendly and offers babysitting services for an additional charge.
The Artist Porto Hotel & Bistro
The 17 guest rooms, bistro and bar of The Artist are decorated and maintained by students at The School of Hospitality and Tourism of Porto. This is a vibrant hotel where rooms are filled with classic furniture and an array of artwork and photography. In the restaurant, you can sample local flavours with a tasting menu. And when it’s time to explore, it’s just an eight-minute walk to the traditional Bolhão market and just a few minutes to the trendy shops on Rua de Santa Catarina.
The centennial gold- and bronze-trimmed Hotel Teatro is located in the heart of the city and near the beautiful azulejo-covered São Bento train station. Special features include a box office instead of a reception desk, a luxurious restaurant, and tickets for room keys. The 74 guest rooms are divided into four styles, each spacious and decorated with a modern style.
Hotel Torel Avantgarde
Hotel Torel Avantgarde has 47 guest rooms with decor inspired by a mix of international and Portuguese artists, such as Nina Simone, Oscar Wilde, Leonardo da Vinci and Fernando Pessoa. You can enjoy a range of spa services, book a babysitter and sample fine dining at the hotel restaurant.
InterContinental Porto – Palacio Das Cardosas
Elegant with a mix of old-world beauty and contemporary style, InterContinental Porto is a grand hotel within a historic 18th-century palace. Conveniently located in the centre of Porto, it’s close to several landmarks, including the São Bento train station, the Torre dos Clérigos and the Sé do Porto. Although it has been completely restored, the hotel maintains charming decor and antique furnishings inside the 105 guest rooms. Special features include a library bar, a gourmet restaurant and classically designed rooms.
The Yeatman Hotel
Plan a romantic experience in Porto ending each day in The Yeatman Hotel, a luxurious spa resort. Antique and elegant, this spot offers up amazing views over the rooftops and across the River Douro from Vila Nova de Gaia. In addition to the 83 guest rooms and spa services, it has a rooftop infinity pool, gourmet restaurant and regal bar.
Moov Hotel Porto Centro
Moov Hotel is a unique, historic and budget-friendly spot located in one of the oldest squares in the city between the 18th-century Saint Ildefonso Church and the classical São João National Theatre. An elegant façade opens into the century-old, art deco-inspired building that was once a movie theatre but was eventually converted into this trendy film-themed hotel. It’s located within easy walking distance of the Sé Cathedral, Majestic Café and the Ribeira district.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.