Famed for its beaches and nightlife, Albufeira, in the Algarve in southern Portugal, is a favourite among English speakers. And it isn’t short on accommodation – with apartments right by Fisherman’s Beach, a cosy bolthole just outside the city or a family-friendly enclave perfect for the whole gang to choose from. Book your stay now on Culture Trip.
The ideal fly-and-flop destination, this 301-room hotel offers all that you might require without moving far from it. The hotel has private access to a wonderful beach, framed by red rocks – perfect photo fodder when the sun sets. There are three swimming pools, a good spa and several restaurants – try the squid rings with aioli overlooking the sea for a perfect lunch.
The rooms at the Hotel Cerro da Marina come in muted, neutral colours with views over the swimming pool and leafy gardens that surround the property. A walk away from the nearest beach, the hotel has plenty of facilities to keep you busy; besides the swimming pool, there’s a hot tub, spa and wellness centre and a snooker table.
Velamar, 8km (5mi) outside Albufeira, by pretty Olhos d’Agua, allows you to enjoy the nightlife and restaurants of Albufeira in the evening with a more tranquil, flop-by-the-pool experience in the day. Facilities include a dinky poolside bar, a jazzy lounge decked in blue, and a spa embracing Japanese philosophies. Sun seekers can reach the nearest beaches in five minutes by car.
Right in the heart of Albufeira old town and minutes from popular Fisherman’s Beach, Hotel Baltum offers 51 comfortable rooms, plus self-catering apartments nearby. The crowning glory is the rooftop deck, where you’ll discover a cocktail bar with views over the Atlantic Ocean and the old town, a hot tub with a sea view and squashy sofas under a grand parasol. If you don’t fancy going out to eat, there’s also an Italian restaurant.
There are 54 apartments here ranging from studios to three-bedroom lodgings; all come with a kitchen and either full or side sea views. There is also a standalone three-bedroom, two-bathroom villa with access to the resort facilities. The apartments radiate from a central swimming pool, snack bar and sunbathing area. There is a playground for children tucked away in a quiet corner, a fitness centre for adults and an outdoor hot tub.
Enjoy a relaxed environment at Vila São Vicente, an adults-only hotel just steps from Praia do Peneco, one of Albufeira’s main beaches near the historic old town. The hotel is just a short walk from many popular bars and restaurants, but guests wishing to stay close may enjoy the on-site terrace bar, outdoor pools and sunbathing deck.
Known as Algarve’s destination for stag and hen parties, Albufeira is the place to go if you want to be surrounded by a dynamic nightlife scene, and Califórnia Beach Hotel is close to all the action. It’s just steps from Piccadilly Cocktail Bar – considered one of the best bars in Algarve – and down the street from the area’s liveliest district. After the excitement in town, guests can relax by the pool-side bar at the hotel.
Hotel Brisa Sol is a large, family-friendly apartment hotel near the centre of Albufeira. Contemporary and spacious, it offers two outdoor pools – one for children – an indoor pool, a playground, an arcade room and tennis courts. Located around a 10-minute walk from the beach and main attractions, it’s close enough to all the sights yet far enough for a relaxing stay. Each room is also equipped with a kitchen area, a bonus for anyone on a budget.
Falésia Hotel is another adults-only accommodation in Albufeira – rooms come with private balconies offering views of the pool, the nearby golf course or a serene garden. Located by Falésia Beach, it’s a lovely location for days in the sand and sun. Alternatively, the hotel has an indoor and outdoor pool, and a tennis court surrounded by a lush backdrop. You can also enjoy the spa hydrotherapy in addition to other treatments.
This is the place to hone your golf swing and relax in luxury. This large five-star resort has 148 guest rooms, an 18-hole golf course and a beach nearby. The spacious rooms come with a private patio and terrace. Although the excitement of town and the sands are temptingly close, guests may not want to leave this beautiful space – the eight restaurants, two poolside bars, eight pools, five tennis courts and luxurious spa services are enough reason to stay.
EPIC SANA is a five-star accommodation by Falésia Beach surrounded by pines and offering a variety of amenities. You may enjoy the health club, one of the four outdoor pools, an indoor pool and spa centre. The resort is also family-friendly and provides babysitting services and beds for the little ones, plus a kids’ pool and playground. One of the main highlights is Al Quimia, a stylish concept restaurant serving dishes made from local, sustainable ingredients.
This is an updated version of an article originally written by Nina Santos.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
If you’re looking for somewhere a little different to stay, why not book into one of the best beach hotels in Albufeira? For more inspiration, check out the top things to see and do while you’re here, including the best restaurants for a true taste of the Algarve.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.