It’s easy to eat well in Portugal, and the Algarve is especially jam-packed with amazing restaurants, many which pair delicious meals with jaw-dropping views. Budget-friendly venues and snack bars also cover the region from coast to coast, and they are well worth the time spent, but sometimes it’s nice to get dressed up and experience high-end fine dining. Try these restaurants in the Algarve when looking for a little more aesthetic appeal and sophistication with your meal.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Vila Joya Gourmet Restaurant
You need to book in advance if you are looking to dine at the Vila Joya in Albufeira. The beautiful gourmet restaurant inside this 4-star hotel is fairly small, but has two Michelin stars and is a popular spot among visitors in the know who don’t mind paying for a special meal. Choose between fresh fish and seafood or various mouthwatering meat recipes, and enjoy stunning views of the sea.
From the ocean-inspired dining room to the exquisite beach views and beautifully arranged meals, the Ocean Restaurant at the Vila Vita Resort is a must for beach- and seafood-lovers. It has two Michelin stars, and is spearheaded by executive chef Hans Neuner. The menu offers everything from regional favourites such as Chicken piri piri to gourmet specialties such as foie gras. The Ocean Restaurant serves 4- and 6-course menus for €135 and €175 per person respectively.
Restaurante Al Quimia
Al Quimia is a Mediterranean-style restaurant that belongs to the EPIC SANA Algarve Hotel near Albufeira. Private and romantic, with open-air seating, it is a fantastic choice if you are looking to break from the crowds and find a unique experience. The menu, which is influenced by the season, changes periodically and should be viewed online before making a reservation.
NB: During low season, Al Quimia is open Thursday–Saturday, 7pm–10.30pm
Palace Indian Tandoori Restaurant
The Palace Indian Tandoori Restaurant is a fantastic spot in the area of Olhos de Agua near Albufeira. It is a more casual establishment than most of the restaurants on this list, but the food is excellent and customers love the authentic quality. It’s also a great location when traveling with a large group or looking to fit the entire family.
Restaurante Bon Bon
Restaurante Bon Bon creates an unforgettable experience with their tasting menus that range from four to six courses with wine pairing, ranging in price from €98 to €225 per person. Each course, made from the freshest ingredients and uniquely served, is followed by a carefully chosen light bite. Located in Carvoeiro, one of the Algarve’s most charming towns, Restaurante Bon Bon is a real discovery.
O Barradas Restaurante
The historic village of Silves is where diners will find O Barradas Restaurante, a venue set in a country farmhouse estate. It’s family run and is a charming spot that pays special attention to its guests, yet offers authentic Portuguese meals with high-end quality. Still, it is much more relaxed than some other venues on this list, and the prices are a pleasant surprise, too. From fish to meats to pasta and vegetarian options, there is something here for everyone, and the outdoor seating area is a great place to eat.
Willie’s Restaurant is situated near some fantastic golf courses around Vilamoura, so plan on heading here after a day on the green. This classically beautiful Michelin-starred restaurant is romantic and elegant with a stunning indoor dining room and a lovely garden terrace. Try their unique dishes such as seafood ravioli smothered in vermouth cream, or a new twist to sapateira (crab dip), which is a Portuguese favourite but with pineapple and grapefruit added.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.