Funchal, on the island’s south east coast, is the beating heart of Madeira. This charming city with its cobbled streets, paved squares, tree-lined boulevards and traditional Portugeuse architecture, is the perfect place to watch the world go by with a refreshing poncha, rum or Madeira wine in hand. Here’s our pick of the best bars in the Madeiran capital.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hole in One
Soak up the whimsical atmosphere at this wacky and wonderful drinking spot, which features a jungle-esque outdoor patio and a characterful interior. The bar is located in a restored farmhouse in the heart of Funchal. You’ll find drinks here to suit every taste, from hearty pints of Guinness to tropical cocktails and a selection of Madeira wine. Live music plays throughout the week and if you’re feeling peckish, there’s a menu with substantial pub-style bites.
Shot, shot, shot! If you’re looking for a bar to get into the evening swing of things, then this pint-sized taverna should fit the bill. In terms of space, there is a small bar area and several outdoor tables. Shots start from €1 (85p), and there are different flavours of poncha – a traditional alcoholic drink from Madeira featuring honey, fruit juice and sugar-cane rum. Guests love the cheap prices, laid-back atmosphere and friendly bar staff.
23 Vintage Bar
Get ready to boogie at the 23 Vintage Bar, which hides behind a door with a giant record emblazoned on the front on Rua Santa Maria. This place turns into quite the party place come nightfall, so it’s best to get there early and grab a spot. Expect top-notch cocktails with a chilli-infused whiskey sour being one of the house favourites, along with hip-shaking tunes from the 70s through to the 90s.
You’ll be sure to have a good craic over at Moynihan’s. This Irish pub is the real deal, with Irish immigrants Tadhg and Sinead Moynihan at the helm. Located in the centre of town, this place has all of the elements you would expect from an emerald-isle boozer – with live music, freshly poured pints of Guinness and a convivial atmosphere. Sports matches are shown on the big screen and traditional pub grub is another big draw.
Reach for the stars at this show-stopping rooftop bar. Located on the top floor of the five-star Savoy Palace hotel, this place lends itself to an Instagram shot or two, with a galaxy-themed bar area complete with a starry ceiling, LED lights, mountain views and a fine spread of artfully-presented cocktails. The Negroni-inspired Space Truck is a must-try, with a unique combination of hazelnut-infused gin, Campari and Madeira wine.
Turim Santa Maria Hotel
If you’re looking for a chic spot to watch the sunset with a refreshing beverage in hand, check out Turim Santa Maria. This design hotel features a great rooftop bar, complete with indoor and outdoor seating, with top views towards the harbour and the ocean beyond. If you arrive earlier in the day, there is a pool and sun loungers on the roof for relaxing with a drink.
Madeira Rum House
Roll into the Madeira Rum House to sample a vast array of island-made spirits. This quaint watering hole features tables and chairs crafted from old drinks barrels, with other alcohol-themed knick-knacks at every turn. There are flights of rum on offer, with food plates to ensure you roll out in one piece. Some say that this is also the best place to taste Madeiran poncha on the island.
Beer lovers, rejoice: this bar serves up a top selection of craft ales to keep you occupied. There’s a revolving selection of tipples on tap, from New England IPAs to lagers from Porto. Some of the more unusual offerings have included a Christmas cake-infused stout and a beer with a raspberry cheesecake finish. The cafe-style venue features simple decor, with a map adorning one wall – so you can pinpoint where your beer is from – and TVs to catch sporting events. There is also wine available for non-beer drinkers and food platters to soak it all up.
Looking for more? Why not make a weekend of it with a stay at one of the best hotels in Funchal for every traveller. Then, you can set off to discover the best things to do in Funchal or explore the city’s best museums and art galleries. After a long day, enjoy a delicious meal at one of the best restaurants in Funchal.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.