Beyond the golf courses and five-star hotels of the Algarve, you’ll find the quaint cobblestone fishing town of Lagos. Book a holiday apartment for a more independent stay. From here, you can easily stroll to the golden sands of Praia do Camilo, learn to surf the Atlantic waves and tuck into chargrilled piri-piri chicken, a Portuguese classic.
Few places in the world can boast a richly historic old town – complete with cobbled lanes, pretty plazas and medieval walls – a hop, skip and jump from seriously spectacular cliff-fringed beaches. But, Lagos is one of them. Add a high-octane nightlife and a top-notch dining scene, and it’s no wonder this is one of the most popular tourist spots in Portugal. Prefer your accommodation with more of a holiday-home vibe? We’ve picked out some top options for just that, which are now bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This family-friendly villa is located among a patchwork of fields in the peaceful rural area of Alagoas, about a 10-minute drive west of Lagos. With three bedrooms, three bathrooms and bunk beds for kids, it can comfortably accommodate up to seven guests. In the garden, there’s a small swimming pool to cool off in, or there are several lovely beaches just 5 minutes away by car.
The undeniable highlight of this three-bedroom villa is its fabulous kidney-shaped pool, big enough for a decent swim and with plenty of poolside loungers. The two-storey rental can sleep up to eight, as well as providing a full kitchen and spacious lounge. Jump in the car, and you can be in Lagos town or Porto de Mós in just 5 minutes.
Part of the Boavista Golf Resort, a big bonus of these apartments is access to the resort’s spa and sports facilities, including tennis courts and the neighbouring golf course. There’s a decent-sized swimming pool to enjoy, just steps from your accommodation, too. Interiors are bright and cheerfully decorated, with two bedrooms and two bathrooms for up to four guests. If you’re craving sand between your toes, it’s under 10 minutes by car to the nearest beach.
Lots of knotty pine furnishings, whitewashed walls and terracotta tiling give this holiday villa more than a touch of the rustic. With five bedrooms and five bathrooms, the two-storey property can sleep up to 10 guests. An outside terrace leads directly to the pool, which is long enough for a decent swim. Alternatively, Meia Beach is 5 minutes by car. Upstairs, you get lovely views of the scenic surroundings of the Vale da Lama bay.
With a private swimming pool set in tidy lawned gardens, outside dining and a barbecue area, you’ll be spending a lot of time outdoors, when you stay at this upscale villa. It sleeps groups of up to eight in three bedrooms, plus there are four bathrooms and a fully equipped kitchen. It’s just a 5-minute drive to the nearest beach at Porto de Mós. If you fancy something a little livelier, Lagos town is just under 10 minutes away.
Set in the small seaside settlement of Luz, this charming villa is just a 5-minute stroll from the picturesque Praia da Luz. A sunny garden with orange and lemon trees makes for a lovely spot to unwind; you can even catch sea views over the hedge. With three bedrooms and two updated bathrooms, it easily accommodates up to six people. A modern kitchen and nearby shops make self-catering a breeze.
Casa Celina offers two apartments located on a quiet road in the centre of Lagos town. Each comes with simple kitchens – but, with Lagos’s buzzing dining scene practically on your doorstep, you’ll probably want to eat out. Both apartments sleep two in a queen-size bed, and there are separate lounges, too, if you just want to chill. The location also means a trio of beaches within walking distance, so you have the best of both worlds.
Designed as a retreat, this apartment has lots of little spots to read or relax in between enjoying Lagos’s old town, which is only minutes away on foot. Take a nap in the hammock on the private patio, or gaze at the almond trees that peek into the property. This budget-friendly and fully equipped apartment has two bedrooms and can accommodate up to four guests.
The picturesque Dona Ana Beach, one of the best beaches in Europe, is right in front of this 200-square-metre (2,153sqft) flat, and the views are hard to beat. Located in a condominium, there is 24-hour security and access to the pool area during the summer months, as well as free parking. The town centre is also only approximately 10 minutes away.
Nina Santos contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.