Sat halfway between Lagos and Albufeira in Portugal‘s beautiful Algarve, Portimão is the perfect place to spend an active holiday rolling in the waves of Praia da Rocha, watching world-class golf, or enjoying the vibrant nightlife. This idyllic port city is also served by a pleasing slew of hotels, ranging from ultra-stylish budget-friendly hostels to luxury resorts wrapped by championship golf courses. Read on to discover the best hotels Portimão has to offer, bookable with Culture Trip.
This 18th-century manor house sits in the charming, whitewashed fishing village of Estômbar and offers nine rooms with balconies overlooking the town. There’s also an outdoor swimming pool, set in tranquil gardens. a Daily breakfast is comprised of fresh fruit, local hams and cheeses and homemade cakes. There are a variety of local vineyards to explore within the region as well.
Deep in the Algarvian countryside, where wildflowers cover the fields and storks nest on telegraph poles, this wellness cottage offers seven bedrooms, with decor inspired by nature. Outside, there’s a swimming pool and space to do workshops and courses such as working with olive oil, artisanal soaps and natural cosmetics. Nearby is the pretty thermal spring town of Caldas de Monchique.
This 84-room hotel, with Asian-inspired interiors, overlooks the golden sands of Praia da Rocha, one of the largest beaches in the region. There is a large swimming pool with a panoramic deck overlooking the beach, plus direct access to the sands. There are many shops and bars just outside the hotel, with the marina a few minutes’ walk away.
This modern, high-rise hotel overlooks Praia da Rocha and offers good access to the sands. Spacious suites (which also have sofa beds, perfect for families) are comfortably furnished, while the hotel has an outdoor swimming pool, a bar that serves drinks and tapas, a fitness room with cardio equipment and a massage room. Bars and restaurants are plentiful just outside the hotel entrance.
Black-and-white photography and a monochrome palette add an urban vibe to this six-suite guesthouse. NDS Prestige is located a couple of blocks from the Arade River and close to downtown Portimão, making it perfect for those who want to explore more of the local culture. There’s a terrace and a garden to enjoy when the weather is nice (which is nearly always), and the hotel offers childcare services for families.
Boho-chic touches, such as macrame wall hangings and earthy tones, brighten the 150 contemporary guest rooms at Jupiter Marina Hotel. Comfortable and spacious, they also offer privileged views of Portimão, the Arade River and an inner courtyard. This romantic spa hotel is perfect for couples but also an excellent choice for adults who want a relaxing vacation in the Algarve. It’s also home to Facho Restaurant, serving Portuguese and Mediterranean-inspired dishes, and a full-service spa centre. And how could you not love the rooftop infinity pool?
Morgado has two 18-hole golf courses with mountain views so lovely they might throw you off your game. Never mind, you can lick your wounds in one of the 98 guest rooms, the hotel restaurant or (more likely) in one of two bar lounges. Although 12km (7mi) from the closest beach, there are two adult pools surrounded by sun loungers and two children’s pools. Set in a calm environment, it is a peaceful, family-friendly retreat.
The 196 modern apartments at Tivoli offer a home-away-from-home vibe with a living area and kitchenette. Each also comes with a terrace. Located close to the beach, the hotel enjoys views of the marina. Additional perks are the free breakfast, the hotel restaurant’s terrace service, two bars and an outdoor pool.
This contemporary five-star hotel is perfect for those seeking the tranquil countryside rather than the energetic coast (it’s still less than a 20-minute drive from the nearest beach). It’s also designed for families, and each room (some are adjoining) includes complimentary access to go-karting. There’s also a spa, restaurant and bar, a fitness centre and an arcade room for kids. Room views take in the Serra de Monchique range.
Set inside an early 20th-century mansion on Praia da Rocha, Bela Vista Hotel & Spa is a romantic and regal choice for luxury-loving travellers. Attention to detail includes the cool colour palette of coastal tones matching the seaside views and the traditional azulejo accents. It’s also home to the Michelin-star Vista Restaurant, where you’ll discover dishes blending Portuguese and Mediterranean cuisines. Spa services, a rooftop terrace and an outdoor pool make the experience even sweeter.
Next Inn is for travellers looking for a bargain price. Renovated in 2014, it offers 24 bright guest rooms, ranging from singles to triples and group rooms that accommodate four to five people. From the rooftop terrace, you have a bird’s-eye view over the centre of Portimão and toward the mountains. Cosy armchairs fill the hotel’s common room and an additional reading room.
Mary Lussiana contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.