Many international festivals have found it impossible to proceed in 2020 due to the coronavirus pandemic. Social distancing and mass interaction simply don’t work in this climate. Yet one art event is set to return later this year in Oslo, and its unique concept makes it perfect for the times we live in.
The cultural calendar has been decimated by global events this year. A summer without music has been difficult, and empty schedules have left many of us with little to look forward to.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Thankfully, some of the more creative arts events that rely on public spaces have been able to bring some colour back. We’re currently enjoying the London Mural Festival as it continues to highlight the best street art around and now another city-wide event has been announced.
Fjord Oslo debuted in 2019 with the objective of delivering a collective art experience. The free event was held outdoors and proved to be such a massive success that a return was inevitable. The three-day event this year will be held on November 6-9 and promises to bring the most exciting light installations to Oslo’s waterfront.
Using techniques such as projection mapping and colour movement, the selected works all explore the relationship between humanity and the natural world. Norway’s capital city is the ideal backdrop, with the 2019 edition showcasing the booming Harbour Promenade area as well as some of the more traditional architecture and open spaces along the waterfront.
Things to do in Oslo
If you’re looking to visit this event or are planning a trip to Oslo in the coming months, Culture Trip has picked out the best places to stay and things to do in the area.
The Oslo City Walk (the City of Contrasts) takes place every Monday throughout the year, and is the best way to see the city. The modern front that many experience on their first visit can sometimes hide the historical heart of Oslo, so this tour gives you a chance to see it all in one go.
Another type of walking tour is the Taste of Oslo experience. As the title suggests, this guided walking tour will take you around the city and give you a chance to sample Norway’s best dishes and cuisine.
Finally, if you find yourself in Norway on an extended trip, then the picturesque train journey from Oslo to Bergen is a must. This unique experience includes a cruise through the fantastic fjords and a train journey that takes you from sea level to the peaks of nearby mountains.
Places to Stay in Oslo
Oslo, like many Nordic cities, is bursting with unique hotels and boutique residencies.
If you have zero time to waste, but want to explore as much of the city of Oslo as possible, Comfort Hotel Grand Central is strategically placed in Oslo Sentralstasjon. In three minutes, you can take the train to the airport. In one minute, you can be in Karl Johans gate and explore the city’s highlights. And when you just want to relax, the hotel’s New York-style modern design will help you lounge like the cosmopolitan traveller you are.
Right next to the buzzing Aker Brygge lies Oslo Guldsmeden, a welcoming boutique hotel with a distinct Nordic interior design style that really knows how to do hygge. Whether you’re having a drink at the bar, relaxing with a candlelit bath or cosying up in your room, Guldsmeden’s warm atmosphere will make you feel welcome in this home-away-from-home establishment.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.