The city centre of Pristina has a lively atmosphere, while vast fields and verdant hills surround the outskirts. If you want to explore the city’s historic core, book a hotel within walking distance of cultural sights such as the otherworldly National Library designed by Andrija Mutnjaković. If you’re here for a longer stay, choose a hotel with a garden and a pool.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Staying at the Swiss Diamond, you’ll enjoy an outstanding location in the heart of the city’s financial and arts district. The hotel features handmade Empire-style furniture and Italian marble work, as well as Sicilian-style columns and Venetian crystal chandeliers. Rooms range from queen rooms and junior suites to a penthouse and even a presidential suite. Head down to the spa for a swim or massage, and round off your evening with Kosovar-inspired dishes from Iliria Restaurant.
With an impressive glass façade and 52 rooms and suites, Sirius Hotel sits 5 minutes from the main pedestrian street in Pristina and close to all the historic sights. Choose a seventh-floor deluxe room, or dine at the rooftop restaurant with a terrace if you want great views across the city. Don’t forget about the hotel’s rare collection of French wines, mostly from the region of Bordeaux.
Emerald is the first resort and conference hotel in Kosovo. Sitting on the main highway between Pristina and Skopje, it’s a quick drive from Pristina’s city centre and Pristina International Airport. There’s a range of premium and deluxe rooms, some with a fully equipped mini-bar and some with water-jet bathtubs. The two outdoor pools come with a full-service bar and restaurant. If you’re feeling more active, head to the nearby tennis court. Don’t leave without trying the thai massage and turkish bath.
Your journey to total relaxation and well-being begins on the ninth floor of this hotel, where a unique rooftop sanctuary comprises an outdoor pool and a fitness room as well as a restaurant with views of the surrounding countryside. The room service is at your disposal 24 hours a day, so treat yourself to breakfast in bed or lunch on your private spacious balcony. Semitronix stands on the highway between Pristina and Skopje, a short drive from Pristina city centre.
Located near the Catholic Cathedral of Saint Mother Teresa, Hotel Nartel is a beautiful and well-designed hotel, perfect for those who are looking to relax in a peaceful and quiet setting. Even though Hotel Nartel provides peace and quiet, it is not far from the city centre, making it easy to go sightseeing. The hotel is also home to a restaurant that serves traditional seasonal food cooked in a modern way.
Hotel Graçanica is a Swiss-managed, eco-friendly design hotel in a peaceful countryside setting, 20 minutes south of the city by car. The hotel features an outdoor swimming pool surrounded by a garden, where you can fill up on artesian mineral water. Rooms sport solid-wood furniture and have a balcony or patio with a view over fields and hills. Studios include a small but practical kitchenette. Dig into home-style food at the restaurant, which also serves a choice of vegetarian dishes.
Edging the southern highway outside of Pristina, but a 13-minute drive from the centre of town, Hotel Gorenje includes shopping opportunities as well as meeting rooms and office spaces perfect for seasonal visitors and business travellers. Enjoy international cuisine while dining on the terrace overlooking the fields and hills surrounding Pristina. Double, twin or standard rooms blend vivid colours with classically influenced furniture.
In leafy, residential Kalabria, this refined hotel is the perfect place to relax outside the capital. Rooms come with carved dark-wood beds and bright colours, creating an overall luxurious feel. If you want to pamper yourself, book the Junior Suite featuring a king-size bed, chandeliers and a separate living area. Head downstairs to swim and relax at the quiet outdoor pool and terrace surrounded by fruit trees. The restaurant has an unconventional open kitchen and serves gourmet meals in a trendy lounge with floor-to-ceiling windows overlooking a lush garden.
In the quiet Arberi neighbourhood, 2km (1.2mi) from the city centre, this hotel includes a relaxing indoor pool, a spa with wood-panelled saunas and a gym. All of the warmly lit rooms feature double beds and a minibar. Apartments include a large living area with a kitchen and a city-view balcony. At the onsite restaurant, try regional wines and homemade pasta with fresh ingredients from selected local farmers.
This five-star hotel blends classical architecture with flamboyant interiors. Rooms range from modest and affordable economy singles to luxurious junior suites. Upgraded rooms are fully equipped with a minibar and also have access to an outdoor dining area. On the grounds, you’ll find a large garden, a spa and a wellness centre with an indoor pool and sauna. Venus Hotel is on the Prishtinë-Lipjan Highway, distant from the city noise.
If you want to “stay OK” in Pristina, book this hospitable hotel in quiet, residential Gjinaj, within walking distance of the city centre. Choose the comfortable penthouse apartment if you fancy having your private rooftop seating with stellar views of old Pristina, or stay in the superior room with a balcony and a separate dining space. Mr Shaban, the owner, has brought his personal touches to each apartment.
Francesca Masotti contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.