The trend of Setjetting has been going in popularity in recent years. Film fans, TV aficionados and even casual travellers are looking for the real locations they’ve seen on screen. Here’s a look at how Culture Trip’s Sicily itinerary takes in some of the best places to see on the Italian island on a journey worthy of an Oscar!
Want to see Spectacular Sicily in all its cinematic glory? Join Culture Trip on an epic exploration of the Italian Island this year.
Where was ‘The White Lotus’ season 2 filmed?
The first series of The White Lotus focussed on a fictional luxury hotel in Hawaii. Guests and employees would drive the plot in darkly-comedic directions but it was the setting that truly allowed the viewer to experience the glamorous location. The show made a successful debut and a second season was quickly announced. Fans wondered where the next instalment would take place, and soon enough we were told that we would be visiting a branch of the White Lotus franchise in Sicily.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sicily is known for its diverse landscapes, stunning beaches, ancient ruins, Baroque towns, and delicious cuisine. The show’s production team chose some of the most famous and picturesque locations in Sicily to portray the exotic destination. We’ve also got a fabulous trip to Sicily which features some of the iconic settings you would have seen on screen.
Palermo is the capital city of Sicily and one of the most charming cities in Italy. It is known for its stunning architecture, lively markets, and rich history. In the show, some scenes were filmed in the Teatro Massimo, the largest opera house in Italy, and the Mercato Ballarò, a bustling open-air market.
Taormina is a picturesque hill town located on the eastern coast of Sicily. It is known for its stunning views of Mount Etna, its ancient Greek theater, and its elegant main street, Corso Umberto. In the show, some scenes were filmed at the Grand Hotel Timeo, a luxurious hotel that has hosted many celebrities and dignitaries.
Cefalù is a scenic coastal town located on the northern coast of Sicily. It is known for its sandy beaches, winding streets, and impressive Norman cathedral. The show features scenes filmed in the historical center of Cefalù that highlight the town’s charm and ambiance.
In The White Lotus, viewers get a glimpse of Noto‘s breathtaking beauty, which includes its intricately designed buildings, palaces, and cathedrals. The town’s architecture is particularly impressive, featuring decorative balustrades, statues, and carvings that have been carefully preserved over centuries. One of the standout structures in Noto is the Cathedral of Saint Nicholas, which is considered one of the finest examples of Baroque architecture in Italy. The cathedral’s stunning facade features intricate carvings, statues, and columns that make it a must-see for visitors to the town.
Films and TV shows shot in Sicily
The Godfather Trilogy: The iconic mafia saga was filmed extensively in Sicily, capturing the island’s rugged beauty and intimate relationship with organized crime. Scenes from the first two Godfather films were shot in the historic town of Corleone, which lent its name to the protagonist’s family. The third movie, however, was set in Palermo, the bustling capital of the island.
Cinema Paradiso: The Italian classic was partly filmed in the town of Scopello, an idyllic village located in the northwest of Sicily. Its famous Tonnara, a complex of ancient tuna fishing nets and buildings, serves as the backdrop for some of the movie’s most iconic scenes.
Malena: The coming-of-age drama starring Monica Bellucci was shot in the town of Siracusa, an ancient city with a rich history that combines Greek, Roman, and Byzantine influences. The film portrays the town’s charm and ethereal beauty through its architecture and landscapes.
Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny: The fifth installment of the Indiana Jones franchise is set to be released in the summer of 2023. The production is set to feature several iconic locations on the island, like the ancient theater of Taormina and the Valley of the Temples in Agrigento. You can spot some of the locations in the trailer, and the film, which once again stars Harrison Ford as the swashbuckling lead character, will undoubtably host even more action from the movie.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.