From Roman ruins to pretty old churches and buzzing Poetto beach, the Sardinian capital feels deliciously Italian, oozing personality and atmosphere – from the citadel to the bars. Here’s our guide to the best boutique hotels in Cagliari.
Chandeliers hang from the ceilings and rich reds and purples colour the walls at this port-side boutique hotel. With around a dozen rooms – some overlooking Cagliari’s harbour – this place feels intimate but is still in the thick of the action. A pretty internal garden, filled with Sardinian flora, is a tranquil spot for an afternoon coffee but the real USP is the art: everything from the paintings to the furniture is for sale.
Italian opulence – think gilded bed frames and beamed ceilings – characterise The Place, tucked into the shady cobbled streets of the ancient Stampace neighbourhood. And yet, with an on-site sauna, crisp white linens and modern roll-top baths, it’s no time warp. Some of Cagliari’s best nightlife is on your doorstep: be sure to check out the bars and restaurants to the north and south of the main drag, Corso Vittorio Emanuele II.
When you need a break from urban life, Hotel Villa Fanny’s garden, sun-licked and dotted with loungers and sofas, is the perfect medicine. The 19 bedrooms are just as pretty: a vision in white, painted in alabaster hues from cabinets to stone walls and, in the case of the Suite Ercole, the spiral staircase. If the great outdoors is your thing, check out the popular Cagliari botanical gardens, a short walk away.
A moments’ walk from Cagliari’s main train station, Il Gallo is one of the city’s most convenient stays. Great for couples who like to get out and explore, this boutique hotel is one of the city’s best, too, with statement wallpaper, delicious buffet breakfasts and terraces on which to pass warm afternoons. Friendly staff will help you book activities or find cosy local places to eat.
If your visit to Sardinia is all about the beach, look no further than Hotel Nautilus, perched on popular Poetto’s long, bleached sands. Start your day with a buffet breakfast of eggs and fresh fruit in view of the waves, then move out to the deck chairs for a day soaking up the sun. If you want to enjoy culture, central Cagliari is a easy taxi ride away.
This 14th-century hotel’s foundations are on a still-visible Roman cistern, which makes this an interesting place to stay. But it’s the colourful paintings, sculpted wooden headboards and patterned bathroom tiling that really adds to the atmosphere. You’re in one of the oldest parts of the city, near the port and train station, so Art Guest House is a great pick if you want to dig deep into Cagliari history.
The central city location of Brezza Marina Luxury Rooms is only two train stops from Cagliari airport. The bright and simple rooms have everything you need for a comfortable stay, including air conditioning and fast wifi. Start your day in the sunny breakfast room with fresh local pastries and a cappuccino before you head out to explore.
The waves will rock you to sleep in one of the city’s most unique hotels. Boat & Breakfast Cagliari’s cosy cabin area on the 10m-long (32ft) sailboat is beautifully wood panelled and houses a kitchen and lounge area in addition to two sleeping cabins. While moored in port sip prosecco on deck, or spend the day sailing to nearby beaches and coves.
A stay at the Cà del Sol B&B feels like staying in a family palazzo. The owners, Daniela and Michele, ensure you feel at home and are happy to share insider tips on the best places for a sunset drink and their favourite beaches nearby. The rooms in the 19th-century palazzo are a colourful mix of old and new, and the marina location puts you close to the sea and Cagliari’s historic sites.
This whitewashed charmer is the perfect destination for gourmet foodies. Settle into your room furnished with hi-tech electronics, neutral linens and lush velvets, some have balconies and fireplaces. The restaurant at Palazzo Dessy serves cherished family recipes made with impeccably sourced ingredients. Although you might find it hard to leave the comforts of the hotel, all of Cagliari’s sites are just steps away.
Your hosts, Antonello and Vanna, will warmly welcome you to their historic home in this peaceful location. La Peonia Boutique B&B features a relaxing patio with a lush garden view and a well-equipped gym. The rooms are furnished with family antiques and crisp linens, and the Mediterranean-style breakfast served each morning in the dining room will fuel you for a day of adventures.
Expand your options by seeing the best boutique hotels in all of Sardinia, bookable with Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Gillian McGuire contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.