Just off the north coast of Sicily, you’ll find the Aeolian Islands. Explore the active crater and bubbling hot springs on Vulcano, or indulge in a sunset aperitivo overlooking the spectacular Tyrrhenian Sea from Panarea.
The Aeolian Islands are a volcanic cluster, comprising seven main islands and a handful of uninhabited islets. In summer, the temperature soars and visitors flock here to swim, snorkel and dive off its beaches. But it’s the volcanoes themselves that add drama and excitement: the sight of a Strombolian eruption, a dip in Vulcano’s geothermal baths or a chilled glass of wine made from grapes grown in fertile volcanic soils.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
What to do on the Aeolian Islands
Lipari is the largest and liveliest of the Aeolian Islands. You can spend three nights there as part of Culture Trip’s exclusive 10-day Sicily adventure, led by our local insider. Good hydrofoil links and plenty of places to stay and to eat make this a logical base for exploring the rest of the archipelago. We recommend nosing around the castle; its fortified walls enclose two baroque churches and an archaeological museum. At the end of the day, relax with a glass of Malvasia delle Lipari, a sweet dessert wine produced locally.
Peaceful Salina is the island of the twin peaks: Monte Fossa delle Felci and its slightly smaller neighbour, Monte Porri. Visitors arrive in Santa Marina Salina, a port town known for its elegant 19th-century merchants’ houses. Hire a car and head over to Lingua, a small town beside a salt lake, to tuck into a fruity granita at da Alfredo’s. Another road winds up to Semaforo and a viewpoint overlooking the crater of the island’s extinct volcano.
Stromboli’s drawcard is its volcano which has been erupting incessantly for over 2,000 years. Watch as incandescent cinders and lava bombs are ejected in mild explosions. Occasionally the show ramps up a bit and lucky visitors get to witness lava fountaining, nature’s answer to a fireworks display. Climbing to the crater is permitted with a guide; an alternative is a shorter ascent to the Sciara del Fuoco viewpoint, from where a blackened lava trail can be seen.
Filicudi was the first of the Aeolian islands to emerge from the sea around 600,000 years ago. Hike along the island’s old mule tracks or better still, take a boat ride. The beaches and steep cliffs are merely the photogenic pre-show. Don a snorkel to appreciate caves such as the Grotto del Bue Marino. Experienced scuba divers will want to explore the island’s many shipwrecks, which include a 17th-century Spanish galleon.
Unspoilt, sleepy Alicudi rises from the Tyrrhenian Sea as an almost perfect cone. There are no motorised vehicles here. Anything you can’t carry yourself will be loaded onto a mule. You’ll pass olives, vines and prickly pear trees, which thrive in fertile volcanic soils. Higher up, in the Filo dell’Arpa, they’re replaced by chestnut trees and ferns. People come here to swim, dive or fish. Down by the ferry dock, eat locally-caught seafood overlooking the water.
Glamorous Panarea attracts the rich and famous. It’s not hard to see why. Azure blue doorways pop against whitewashed walls draped with hot pink bougainvillea. Its maze-like streets are ripe for exploring. No matter how lost you get, you’ll find yourself at the door of San Pietro church, dedicated to the patron saint of fishermen. Check out the island’s beaches, such as the popular Cala Junco, before retreating to the terrace of the chic Hotel Lisca Bianca for an Aperol spritz.
Where to stay on the Aeolian Islands
This centrally located four-star property overlooks Lipari’s harbour and Marina Lunga Bay. Enjoy the outdoor pool and a terrace restaurant serving Sicilian and Aeolian dishes, set amongst attractive gardens. Rooms are comfortable, colourfully decorated and traditional in style. Some have balconies and sea views.
This intimate boutique hotel consists of eight apartments, conveniently located close to Ficogrande Beach. Varying in size, most have kitchens and some have their own private terrace or garden. There’s a pool for the exclusive use of guests and a deck that’s perfect for both daytime sunbathing and sunset aperitifs.
This delightful four-star boutique hotel sits on a narrow isthmus. Its unique position makes it ideal for watching both sunrise and sunset. You’ll have direct access to Spiaggia delle Acque Calde, the island’s famous geothermal beach. Bright and airy rooms are furnished in Mediterranean style and enjoy sea views.
Best way to get to the Aeolian Islands
Whilst the wealthy arrive by helicopter, for most visitors the best way to get to the Aeolian Islands is by hydrofoil or ferry. Services depart from Milazzo in northern Sicily. A Liberty Lines hydrofoil serves Vulcano (45 minutes), Lipari (1 hour) and Panarea (2¼ hours). Inter-island hydrofoil connections are frequent in peak season, making day trips a breeze.
If you’re travelling from the mainland, SNAV offers a high-speed hydrofoil service from Naples, which calls at Stromboli, Panarea, Salina and Vulcano before docking at Lipari around 6.5 hours later. This daily service operates from late May to early September.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.