This southern Italian city near Mount Vesuvius boasts opulent palazzi, a famed opera house and a staggering array of castles and underground tunnels. Sure, Naples may be known for its fuss-free pizzerias and feisty locals, but it’s also the ultimate city for a luxury hotel experience, with Michelin-star restaurants and lavish spas. Many of these luxury Naples resorts once housed royals and nobility, after all – and today they stand ready to spoil you like a visiting king or queen. Book yours on Culture Trip.
This luxury resort in Naples has modern style at its core, as one look at the arty interior will confirm. Expect an emphasis on vibrant design and elegant furnishings in rooms ranging from cosy singles to myth-themed suites. It’s worth splashing out on the ‘mbriana suite – named after a spirit of local folklore – to wake up to exceptional sea and city views from its floor-to-ceiling windows. However, the unmistakable star of the show is Macpherson’s, the hotel’s rooftop restaurant, which serves only the freshest Neapolitan cuisine in an al fresco setting. Take it from us, southern Italian pasta and the Naples sunset is a perfect combo.
With over 800 years spent housing noble families, princes and dukes, it’s no wonder this hotel exudes a regal atmosphere. Don’t miss aperitivo hour in the courtyard – the impressive indoor garden regularly becomes the stage of fashion shows and parties, making it a popular local hangout. The suites are outfitted with marble floors and plush beds, but if you long for true relaxation, unwind in the spa with its sauna and hammam, or take a dip in the pool.
If antique Italian palaces with baroque decor aren’t your style, you’ll be glad to discover this modern, minimalist five-star hotel in Naples with a smooth glass facade, designed by Japanese architectural firm Tange Associates. It features a fashionable rooftop pool bar and 79 luxury rooms overlooking the Gulf of Naples. The suites, clad in Macassar ebony and steel, boast Teuco whirlpool baths and FontanaArte lighting – some even have outdoor Zen gardens, filled with succulents and bonsai. Elsewhere, fans of fine dining will be thrilled to discover the Michelin-star rooftop restaurant.
Although living like a monk doesn’t sound lavish, this five-star resort proves the tranquil atmosphere of a former monastery can create a feeling of understated luxury. You can visit the impressive chapel, pick out a bottle of wine from the cellar where residents used to store their food, or stroll through the gardens like the friars once did. They might not have been able to step into an outdoor pool with sunbeds overlooking Vesuvius, but you certainly can.
Walls clad in silky wallpaper, antique chandeliers hanging from high ceilings, large bathrooms with in-laid marble, bright white sheets in soft cotton and a dining hall with velvet chairs and a grand piano: this icon has everything you hope for from a luxury resort in Naples. From their Dolce Vita Terrace, you can see the idyllic islands of Ischia and Capri – and the skilled staff are happy to organise day trips to either one.
Founded in 1882, this hotel has played host to many celebrities and historical figures, from Humphrey Bogart to Claudia Schiffer. Guests have access to an elegant spa with stained glass windows, as well as a fully equipped gym with an on-hand personal trainer. The sky lounge offers an unobstructed view of Castel dell’Ovo and Mount Vesuvius. Rooms include velvet-clad bed frames, linen sheets and private hot tubs, while the common spaces flaunt antiques and artefacts that date back to the hotel’s inauguration, including record players and crystal chandeliers.
In 1870, a British marine biologist saved this hotel from bankruptcy when he bought it and turned it into a select retreat for high society. Still exuding the grandeur of yesteryear (and the impeccable service to match), Parker’s has become a Neapolitan institution. Its sea-view suites sport panelled walls, marble-clad bathrooms and antique furniture, while its on-site Michelin-star restaurant strikes a modern note, with velvet curtains and bespoke marine-themed wallpaper.
Sam Moakes contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.