If you’re planning a visit to Cinque Terre then you already know that you will want to make the most out of your time in this small but rich part of coastal Italy. With that said, it can be tough to know where to start. To help, we have created the perfect itinerary on how to spend 48 hours in the Cinque Terre.
You can walk along the Cinque Terre coastal route between Monterosso and Manarola with Culture Trip on our 10-day Northern Italy trip, led by our local insider.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Morning – get on the trail
Make an early start and beat the day-tripper crowds – not to mention the hot sun – and spend the first part of the day on one of the hiking trails that link the towns and surrounding countryside. You can pick the popular Blue Trail, which requires an entry fee and has a few detours due to storm damage. The stretch between Monterosso through Vernazza and up to Corniglia is particularly lovely with plenty of panoramic vistas for budding photographers. One of the best views of Vernazza is on the trail from Monterosso. Even if you don’t do the entire walk (which takes about an hour and a a half), make sure you don’t miss this classic sight. In the hilltop village of Corniglia you can stop for a drink with a view or a gelato. Those looking for a challenge, the path between Manarola and Volastra has approximately 1,200 steps.
Afternoon – hop on a boat
After a quick lunch of warm-from-the-oven focaccia or a cone of freshly fried seafood eaten on the pier in Riomaggiore, find your skipper and recuperate from your morning trek with a boat tour. You will really get a sense of how improbably vertical the area is and you’ll also get to see each of the five different towns as you cruise in this Marine Protected Area. Have a sunset swim off the boat or from one of the large rocks near the marina back in town.
Evening – enjoy a taste of Italy
Meander through the maze of streets in Manarola or Vernazza before stopping for an aperitivo before finding a spot for a plate of pasta with pesto sauce or fresh seafood – both specialties of the region. This part of Italy is pretty sleepy, but there is a little bit of late evening activity in Riomaggiore – the largest of the five towns. Try Vertical Bar for excellent cocktails and a young crowd.
Morning – explore church culture
Have breakfast like the locals with a morning cappuccino and a slice of olive oil-slicked focaccia before you learn just a little bit of history. You can start with a visit to the striking Santa Margherita d’Antiochia, the 14th-century church in Vernazza built into a rock next to the sea. This town also has a 15th-century castle that once defended against invading bands of pirates. In Monterosso, climb up the Salita San Cristoforo to the peaceful Capuchin convent and church of San Francesco. Inside there is a painting of the crucifixion by Dutch master Van Dyk.
Afternoon – head to the beach
Have a long, lazy lunch at one of the beachside restaurants in Monterosso. La Cantina di Miky serves an anchovy tasting menu featuring seven different versions of the region’s most ubiquitous and delicious fish. Monterosso has the only long and sandy stretch of beach in the Cinque Terre so find your spot under a striped umbrella and swim and snooze the afternoon away Mediterranean style. If you would rather learn about the regional wine, book a tour and spend a few hours on the hills above learning about bosco, albarola and vermentino grapes and taste the special and sweet dessert wine, sciacchetrà.
Evening – sample the waterfront dining
In Vernazza, venture onto the rocks that jut out from the pier for the perfect Instagram shot of the village. Have a pre-dinner glass of wine at one of the bars on the cobblestoned main street or on the waterfront. Or in Riomaggiore, find a the clifftop terrace over the sea at A Pié de Mà and watch the sun set.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.