Built primarily with ivory limestone, there are four main districts that make up the city; Castello, Marina, Stampace and Villanova, to explore. Close to the sea and with a vibrant nightlife, throw in a few museum visits, some of the city’s famous pizza and you’ll be well set for the perfect 48 weekend in Sardinia’s capital.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Start your day with an Italian-style breakfast of cappuccino and a sweet pastry at the historic Antico Caffè dal 1855 right at the entrance to the Castello district and the Bastione di Saint Remy. Next up is some culture. If you would like to dive deep into the ancient history of the island, the excellent collection of artifacts at the Museo Archaeological Nazionale.
If art is more your thing, you have the Pinacoteca Nazionale. Both of these museums are in the Cittadella dei Musei complex. There is something for contemporary art lovers too, with the Municipal Art Gallery. Get your bearings for the city from the Torre dell’Elefante, the only medical tower still standing.
Cagliari’s multicultural history spans Roman, Byzantine, Pisan and Spanish influences. Find a lunch spot on the maze of streets in the Castello or leafy Villanova neighborhood, before you take a quick tour of significant churches. The early Christian basilica San Saturnino complex dates back to the 5th century and is dedicated to a martyred saint.
The city’s main church, the Duomo di Cagliari is a mishmash of architectural styles including work on the facade by the 12th century builder of the tower of Pisa, Maestro Guillermo. Inside, you’ll find pre-Christian and Roman era tombs, and a crypt with an elaborately painted ceiling, filled with the remains of martyrs. Stately 19th century buildings line the streets and boulevards of Cagliari’s shopping district, centered around via Manno, via Garibaldi, via Alghero and via Dante.
Locals gather to watch the sunset at one of the stylish cafés along the ramparts, near the Bastione di Saint Remy. Enjoy the view out towards the two lagoons, the Molentargius and the Santa Gilla, with your spritz or a glass of Sardinian wine, while you make dinner plans. Cagliari has a reputation for having a great nightlife. You can dance until dawn, listen to jazz or grab a craft beer.
Plan on an early start and head straight to the Mercato San Benedetto. This enormous food market is spread out on two levels and sells everything from vegetables, fish to cheese and pastries. Shop for gifts to bring home to your foodie friends and for a picnic lunch. Look for salami studded with myrtle berries, pecorino cheese and some pane moddizzosu, a local sourdough bread. Don’t miss a snack break with the town specialty pizzetta sfoglia, a delicious cross between a pizza, a sandwich and a pastry.
Cagliari is of course a coastal city, and there are some beautiful beaches within very easy reach by bus or car. Spend the afternoon with your toes in the sand at the nearby Poetta Beach lounging under an umbrella. If you are the active type, there is a windsurfing club where you can rent a board and see where the breeze takes you. Or if you’d rather stay in the city and relax, a few hours at a spa is the perfect holiday indulgence.
Begin your evening on a sweet note with a meringue at Caffè Tramer, or a gelato at Bobocono, with the Italian tradition of a passigiata—a leisurely stroll—the main goal being to window shop and people watch. For dinner, pick one of the popular pizza restaurants. A night at the opera or ballet is the perfect end to a whirlwind visit to Cagliari—so try a performance at the Teatro Lirico.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.