The lights might be off in art galleries and museums for the time being, but back at home, Milan’s creatives are still hard at work, creating inspiring and thoughtful pieces to illuminate these dark times. These are some of the artists lifting the spirits of their fellow Milanese during the current lockdown.
The empty streets of Milan seem alien to those used to the bustling energy of the city; during the pandemic a quick trip to the supermarket becomes a jarringly foreign act. Milan’s artistic heart is still beating, however. It may feel a little far away, drowned out by the noise of the media, but the creative spirit of the city is perhaps stronger than ever in these uncertain times. Creativity is flourishing behind every window of every apartment that has been turned into a makeshift studio, office and gym in a matter of days.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In Italy, children grow up learning about the works of Michelangelo, Da Vinci and Raphael, masters of a Renaissance era ushered in by the plague; in recent weeks, many Italian residents have danced on balconies and improvised living room concerts. Here, there is an understanding that art is a way of survival, and some of Milan’s artists are determined to share this message.
Award-winning illustrator Emiliano Ponzi is one of them. With the help of Spazio Fuori Luogo, a creative space in Milan, and the online magazine Open, he has created the art project Covid Uncovered. “Covid Uncovered says a lot about the role of art,” he says. “It serves as a mirror of the times, but it also actively engages with the communities the artists belong to.”
The project invited 19 creatives – virtually gathering from the safety of their own homes – to produce a life drawing, each featuring a nude figure wearing only a type of face protection, whether a scarf or army-grade gas mask. These works of art, which remind viewers that beauty can be found even in the most difficult of times, will be on auction until 3 April and all the proceeds will go to support the Italian Red Cross.
As Ponzi explains, Covid Uncovered has a double aim. On one side, it is creating a tangible difference, providing financial help. On the other, it’s encouraging artists from all over the world to take part in the project and use the hashtag #artists_vs_covid19, thus uniting a community that is, for now, physically isolated.
“Staying home doesn’t mean staying still,” says Irene Bruni. Not only did her creative hub Spazio Fuori Luogo serve as the base for the Covid Uncovered project, but it is also providing free entertainment (and education) by moving its popular life-drawing sessions online for the time being. Those who are missing the part-art class, part-aperitivo event are welcomed into the creative space, even if only through their computer screens. Film clips and photographs are shared, and the artists are challenged to draw them as they would with a real life model. More importantly, Bruni encourages everyone to share their work on the Skype chat and on Instagram. “Above everything else, we didn’t want to lose the sense of community those nights created,” she says. “Even during the most difficult moments, I think that every single one of us could, and should, do something, with our own resources and using our own skills. This is how we can help others, and, in turn, ourselves.”
Twice a month, women from all over Milan meet in a different location – from bars to studios – to spend the night drawing with a special guest as part of Ladies Drawing Nights. The group is ever-changing, giving everyone the chance to attend the limited-admission events at least once; through their Instagram profile and brand-new website, the community camaraderie is kept strong.
With bars closing down and public gatherings being discouraged, it seemed likely that Claudia Alexandrino and Martina Elisa Cecchi’s Ladies Drawing Nights, which had become a staple of Milan’s creative scene, would have to be put on hold. However, the pair saw the lockdown as a way to make the event more inclusive, admitting more budding artists from all over the world. “We wanted to create a weekly event to forget about this crazy situation and focus on art,” Alexandrino explains. “We also saw it as an opportunity to open the gathering to women who were not based in Milan.” Although their focus remains on Italian illustrators, they’re now able to involve guests from further afield, like Berlin-based Elenia Beretta.
Whether it’s professional illustrators raising money for medical organisations, or those who are picking up a brush for the first time out of boredom, Milan’s artists are showing the world that creativity can’t be limited by brick walls. “When we dust off our empty offices and are born again from our own ashes, it will be a beautiful day,” Emiliano Ponzi says, and with paint-stained fingers, it is a little bit easier to believe him.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.