While Naples is a popular destination in its own right, it’s also a gateway to plenty of beautiful bays and islands for beach-going explorers. Our local insiders help us pinpoint the best ones. Read on for the best beaches the Gulf of Naples has to offer.
In Posillipo on the Neapolitan coast, Gaiola is a half-an-hour drive west of Naples. It’s a secluded underwater nature reserve, complete with submerged Roman ruins, a Roman theatre and a first-century villa – once owned by a murderous, eel-breeder friend of Emperor Augustus. The coastline is rugged and rocky, but there is a small white-sand beach lapped by dazzling blue sea. At peak times it can get busy, so get here early as they stop clocking in visitors at 100. The marine reserve offers daily kayaking, snorkelling and diving tours all year round, with archaeological and glass-bottom boat tours running in the summer. Recommended by local insider Matt Barker
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This rocky cove, on a secluded stretch of coast at the end of an old fishing village in Posillipo, can be reached by boat or on foot. Snorkellers are privy to shoals of rainbow-coloured fish flitting through rocky crevices, and sunbathers have wonderful views of Sorrento across the sea. If you’re waiting for the crowds to dissipate, consider making a pitstop at Villa Fattorusso, a beach club with views of the beach below. And if all that walking has made you work up an appetite, the creamy gnocchi and shellfish dishes are a hit. Recommended by local insider Matt Barker
Once the stomping ground of writer Oscar Wilde and composer Richard Wagner, this classic Italian seaside resort is a family-friendly spot where you can enjoy a dip in calm waters, or relax on the wooden sundeck. In Posillipo, half an hour’s drive from the city, Bagno Elena has dark, volcanic sand, with a 17th-century palace on one side and an ancient watchtower on the other. During the summer, it hosts aerobics, fitness classes and even wedding ceremonies. Recommended by local insider Matt Barker
Bagni della Regina Giovanna, Sorrento
Bagni della Regina Giovanna lies among the ruins of Villa di Pollio, with sleek slabs of rocks that you can sunbathe on. These rocky ruins form a natural arc over the sea and have created large rock pools for bathing. This bay – hidden from view inland – was said to be a favourite holiday spot of the Queen of Naples in the 14th century. The lagoons are free of charge and visitors can access them by walking through Sorrento, past olive and lemon groves as well as Mediterranean scrub, down a cliff walk to the coast. Recommended by local insider Debbie Oakes
Massa Lubrense (Baia di Ieranto)
Baia di Leranto is a nature reserve located in the fishing village of Nerano – an hour and a half’s drive from Naples. Long stretches of rocky bays overlook the sea and offer panoramic views of Capri across the water. While the walk down to the pebbly cove is a scenic one, through groves of olive and lemon trees and mediterranean scrub, expect it to take an hour (so bring plenty of water). It’s worth the trek, though, as the beach is always quiet, even during peak times in the summer. Recommended by local insider Debbie Oakes
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.