A trip to Rome is near the top of every city break wish list. The ancient city brims with culture and history, with incredible cuisine and alluring attractions known by every keen traveller. Given its global appeal, however, the capital of Italy can feel a little overwhelming. As crowds return, its cobbled streets seem as busy as they were before the pandemic. With that in mind, Culture Trip looks at a quieter part of town close to Vatican City with a heavenly new place to stay.
The colourful Mama Shelter brand has been causing a stir on the city hotel scene for a while. The chain has branches in several countries, having opened its first in 2008: a Paris location that set its formula. Subsequent hotels have opened in cool neighbourhoods of major European cities and beyond. The unique interiors could be described as eccentric, but all feel authentic to their surroundings. Every new destination is selected carefully to make the most of the lean luxury template that has proven to be a big hit.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This concept is now a part of the landscape in the Italian capital. Mama Roma opened in July 2021 in the Prati district, close to the Vatican. A little farther on from the tourist bustle are the area’s large apartment blocks, where many locals live a relatively peaceful existence. The traffic noise isn’t as relentless and the cheap souvenir shops are replaced by small restaurants serving pasta just as, well, mama made.
The exuberant Mama Shelter ambience might seem like an odd fit for this part of Rome, but that’s just in keeping with what’s worked in the past. Mama Roma is nestled between a number of residential buildings, but rather than treat this as an inconvenience, the team behind the property have embraced the local spirit. A total of 217 guest rooms are spread across six floors, with a restaurant and rooftop bar becoming great attractions for people who already live in Patri as well. Stepping into the lobby, you instantly get what vibe the hotel is going for, and it’s confirmed by the lift, adorned with faded, Panini-style stickers of famous Serie A footballers.
The bold design throughout this new addition to the Rome hotel scene has proven to be a big hit with guests and locals. The pizzeria on the ground floor serves some of the best pizzas in town and the rooftop offers incredible views of the Vatican. Everything is done with a sense of fun, from the adult gift boxes you can order to “spice up” your stay, to the amusing messages staff leave in various places to catch you off-guard. The outdoor spaces are ideal for long summer nights, and there’s even a sauna and pool in the basement – like a neon-fuelled throwback to Roman baths of the past.
Things to do in Prati, Rome
The Prati neighbourhood is well connected to the major attractions of Rome but is certainly quieter than the crowded central hub. The Vatican and its museums are all within touching distance and its only a short walk to famous landmarks like the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain. If you want to go to any of those more famous places, your best bet is to head there early in the morning to avoid the really big crowds.
The food here isn’t as glamorous as in the tightly packed centro storico, but the reward is a more authentic take on classic dishes. You can’t go wrong if you just walk into a restaurant you like the look of and pick something off the menu – a haphazard method not really recommended in other parts of the city. The pubs and bars are cool places to hang out, with live music on offer most nights, although you can also get a really peaceful night’s rest, as general hubbub is kept to a minimum.
It might not be the first place you think of when looking for a place to stay in Rome, but with its authentic cuisine, lively atmosphere and more relaxed vibe, a trip to Prati could be the city break you’ve been craving.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.