Lake Orta has been hailed as ‘The Italian lake tourists haven’t discovered yet’ and is closer to Turin than Lake Maggiore or Como (one hour 40 minutes by car). It makes a wonderful trip in spring, summer and autumn: during the summer enjoy its many beaches and watersports, in autumn and spring take a boat trip to island San Giulio, or hike the parameter and admire the seasonal changes in the surrounding hills.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Sacra di San Michele
The ancient abbey Sacra di San Michele was built between 983 and 987 on the top of mount Pirchiriano. It is dedicated to the cult of the Archangel Michele, defender of the Christian people, and belongs to a pilgrimage route that runs all the way from Saint-Michel, France to Monte Sant’Angelo in Puglia, Southern Italy. This spiritual location has become a symbol of Piedmont and also inspired Umberto Eco’s famous 1980 monastic murder mystery novel Il Nomme della Rosa (The Name of the Rose). The mountain climate often shrouds the building in mist or clouds, adding to the drama of an already beautiful and atmospheric site. Easily accessible by car and public transport.
Parco Nazionale Gran Paradiso, Aosta Valley
The upper echelons of Aosta Valley are known for skiing and too far for day trips from Turin, but the national park Gran Paradiso makes for great alpine walking. It has 450 miles of marked trails and mule tracks – check out the best route for you on the national park website here. Reachable by car in one hour 20 minutes.
Barolo vineyards, Langhe
Piedmont is home to the vineyards of many world-renowned wines, including Barolo that is produced in the Lange district, just a one hour 15 minute drive from Turin. A trip to Langhe promises stunning views of rolling, vineyard covered hills, quaint rural architecture and of course, enjoying great wine. Both large and small vineyards offer tours with wine tastings, and there will likely be the option to have lunch too. For a more intimate experience with the possibility of meeting the wine producer, opt for a smaller operation. A car is needed to reach the vineyards and visitors are required to make a booking in advance. Alternatively sign up with a wine tour company and they will take care of transport and reservations.
La Venaria Reale
This magnificent Baroque estate built in the 1600s for Duke Carlo Emanuele II of Savoy, is considered ‘ Turin’s Versaille’. The royal palace extends over an area of 80,000 square metres and has extensive grounds and gardens, in which archaeological remains and 17th-century grottos are complemented by contemporary sculpture. The famous Hall of Diana designed by Amedeo di Castellamonte is a Baroque masterpiece fit for a Disney Princess. The estate also runs a lively events programme from concerts to educational workshops, so be sure to check out what is on offer before your visit. It is a 30 minute drive from Turin and just under one hour on the train.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.