Once named the best place to live in Ireland by ‘The Irish Times’, the delightful town of Westport, in County Mayo, has built on this reputation. Here’s our roundup of where to stay – and you can book your place on Culture Trip.
It makes for a great base to explore the surrounding area, with a rugged coastline and Croagh Patrick mountain on the doorstep. Cultured types will love the dedicated music pubs and Georgian architecture, while foodies head for the fine restaurants. Here are some accommodation options that aren’t quite as steep as the popular peak’s slopes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Dig out your outdoor gear for a stay here. This modern, yet elegantly appointed hotel is set amid the historic estate of 400-year-old Westport House. For adventure seekers, there’s 162ha (400 acres) of grounds to explore from your doorstep. After a day of soaking up all that the outdoors has to offer, the 129-room hotel makes for a comfortable basecamp with elegant interiors – think splashes of golds and reds and swathes of velvet – and a good range of amenities. Highlights include a restaurant commanding views of the Carrowbeg River, a spa and a leisure centre complete with a pool and gym.
If you’re looking for a peaceful spot, this tree-ringed, ranch-style hotel just outside of the town centre should fit the bill. The four-storey building has an assortment of rooms decked out with earthy tones; all look out over the leafy surrounds. The spacious dining room also looks out over the treetops and a picturesque lake area. While the views are a treat, the menu is also a feast for the senses, with Irish Angus beef and Kelly’s black pudding among the popular picks.
The sunny, egg yolk-coloured exterior of this boutique hotel – named after 18th-century architect James Wyatt – guarantees to put you in a good mood before you’ve even entered the premises. On stepping inside, the place continues to charm, with a welcoming atmosphere and antique detailing here and there. The Cobbler’s Bar is a lively gastropub serving up specialities such as Local Killary Fjord Mussels and a special Wyatt Artisan Burger. Once you’ve had your fill for the night, there are 90 well-appointed rooms with plush beds to roll into. Another perk of this place is its location, slap-bang in the heart of Westport.
Get into the local swing of things with a stay at this family-run guesthouse in the centre of Westport. Clooneen House has been welcoming travellers since 1969, and it remains a popular spot. The place is simply furnished, but has a welcoming atmosphere and the rooms are quiet despite its central location. There are single rooms for solo travellers and the full Irish breakfast on offer is a top way to kick-start your day.
As the name suggests, a maritime theme runs throughout this slickly designed boutique hotel in the centre of town. Splashes of ocean blue and lobster orange appear here and there across the 34 rooms, with sailing-inspired quotes hanging above the beds. Along with appetising interiors, the on-site bistro serves up a hearty spread of meat and seafood, and there are lots of other dining options lining the surrounding streets.
This picture-perfect lodge, complete with hanging baskets and vines weaving around the exterior, is a peaceful retreat just a short stroll from the town centre. There are nine rooms in total, all with unique decoration and with different configurations. If you need any tips on exploring the area, the lodge’s host, Dave, is more than happy to help. Golfers will be in their element, as there is a nine-hole putting green amid the landscaped gardens, golf memorabilia adorning the welcoming lounge and Westport Parkland Course is just 1.6km (1mi) away.
Oozing sophistication, the Ellison is a top choice for those with an eye for design. This chic, four-star hotel is located in the heart of Castlebar and is just a 15-minute drive from Westport. There are 85 spacious rooms with modern and tasteful furnishings. Elevate your stay by checking into one of the mini-suites, which include mini kitchenettes and an open-plan lounge space. The chic design continues through to the Siar restaurant and bar, where artfully presented dishes – and cocktails – promise to satisfy. There’s a varied spread to dip into, from vegan ramen with a miso shiitake broth to a pan-seared supreme of Irish chicken. Don’t miss the delicious Ferrero Rocher cocktail blend.
Get your creative juices flowing at the An File, which means “the poet” in Gaeilge. This funky, modern guesthouse is in the middle of town and offers all the comforts of a home away from home. For longer-term stays, there are self-catering two-bedroom apartments. The downstairs bar has a hip vibe and there’s a plentiful menu on offer, with curries, burgers and BLT baps to keep energy levels up. The freshly poured pints of Guinness also get a thumbs up.
Found your cheap accommodation in Westport and now looking for a special stay? Discover our guide to the best hotels in the city – all bookable on Culture Trip.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.