With top chefs and great fish and chips, there are many culinary delights on offer in “the Kingdom” – as scenic County Kerry is known to locals. This haven for artisan producers, with fish freshly caught from the Atlantic Ocean and tasty twists on traditional fare, is sure to tickle your taste buds. Culture Trip rounds up Killarney’s top 10 local restaurants.
Bricín means “small trout” in Gaelic and is the name of a charming stone bridge on Dinis Peninsula in Killarney National Park. Bricín, owned by brothers Johnny and Paddy McGuire, is also a tastefully restored restaurant on Killarney’s High Street, with natural stone walls, antique timber and stained glass. Signature dishes in this renowned “Celtic Deco” hangout include the Killarney boxty, a twist on the traditional Irish potato pancake with a choice of chicken, lamb or ratatouille fillings, and fish dishes.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Quinlan’s Seafood Bar
If you want to get down with discerning residents of the area, here is an insider tip for your Killarney sojourn: try the fish and chips at Quinlan’s Seafood Bar on High Street. At Quinlan’s, you can have your super-fresh fish pan-fried in olive oil, and salad is at the ready instead of chips should you so desire. The world is your oyster, or maybe your lobster here, where you’ll also find scallops, haddock, wild mussels and much more.
The friendly, family-run Treyvaud’s specialises in international cuisine. Brothers Paul and Mark were trained by their world-class chef father, Michel, when they were children, and today, Paul is fast becoming Ireland’s answer to Jamie Oliver, with several TV series and a book under his belt. Using only the finest and freshest ingredients, Treyvaud’s offers a cornucopia of dishes, such as pan-fried medallions of venison, succulent Kenmare bay scallops, organic Kerry beef and other reliable classics.
Cill Rialaig Arts Centre
Cill Rialaig Arts Centre may be “the best-kept secret in the arts world”, but it also hides another best-kept secret, the Skelligs Art Café. Here, beautiful artworks created by artists from the centre’s residency programme adorn the dining room, where you can savour delicious dishes, including wood-fired pizza, made with organic and locally sourced produce. The menu changes regularly to reflect the freshest ingredients available.
The Lake Room
If unadulterated luxury is what you’re going for and money is no object, why not dine in the Lake Room at Killarney’s sumptuous five-star hotel, Aghadoe Heights? The views, overlooking the Lakes of Killarney, are spectacular, and the award-winning food is delicious. Also, the service is delightful; you will be treated like Kingdom royalty. Afterwards, you can adjourn for a drink in the View Bar & Terrace or check out Aghadoe’s popular spa.
Beaufort Bar and Restaurant
Follow your nose to Beaufort Bar and Restaurant and settle in for a warming bowl of seafood chowder – one of the area’s most popular dishes – washed down with a perfectly poured pint of Guinness. While a short drive outside Killarney, it’s worth the journey. The O’Sullivan family has been running the business since it opened in 1841 – and stepping inside, you’ll see the space hasn’t changed much. Escape here to hide away from the rest of the world for a few hours, and be sure to try a drop (and no more if you’re driving) of one of 200 whiskeys lining the back bar before heading back to town.
Khao Asian Street Food
If you need a break from Irish stews or fish and chips, and you’re in the mood for something with a little bit of zing, try Khao Asian Street Food. The vast menu covers a range of Vietnamese and Thai classics, such as pho bo (Vietnamese beef noodle soup) and Thai green vegetable curry, but you may also spot one or two unfamiliar offerings. There’s plenty of space for dining inside, but you can also grab your favourite dish to go if you’re after a cosy night in.
Celtic Whiskey Bar and Larder
Not just a spot to whet the whistle – although dabbling in the extensive whiskey list is encouraged – Celtic Whiskey Bar and Larder serves up some of the best gourmet pub grub in town. From classics, such as haddock and prawn chowder and steak and chips, to more inventive dishes, including steamed mussels with nduja and roast bone marrow, your meal of choice will likely be a memorable one. Things get livelier as the night wears on, so once you’ve cleaned your plate, order a cocktail from the extensive menu and settle in for some hearty Irish pub vibes.
Molly Codye contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.