Dublin is the land of saints, scholars, and some very unusual activities. It may take more effort to step off the beaten track, but it’s always worth it – and Culture Trip’s curated list of tours and experiences makes it even easier to uncover the city’s quirkier side.
Ireland’s capital may be teeming with history, but that doesn’t mean that there’s nothing new to do in the city. Unusual activities abound in Dublin: you can walk in the footsteps of the Easter Rising rebels of 1916, discover lesser-known spots with a non-profit tour run by the homeless or embark on a kayak journey to get up close and personal with the city’s cutest wildlife. And if all these activities help you work up an appetite, you can settle in for an evening full of traditional Irish cuisine and entertainment in a truly original setting.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Our stunning kayak tour has been voted as one of the best things to in Dublin by The Irish Times and is currently listed as the number-one thing to do in Dalkey on TripAdvisor. This kayak tour offers a unique opportunity to interact with wild seals in their natural environment without disturbing them. It’s also a chance to experience historic Dalkey Island and all a stone’s throw from the capital city.
The 1916 Rebellion Walking Tour was founded in 1996 by Lorcan Collins, author, historian and Dubliner. This two-hour walking tour meets daily at The International Bar, where participants receive a copy of the 1916 Proclamation and some explanatory literature. After a brief introduction to the build up to the Easter Rising of 1916, the tour then visits the sites of the revolutionary period, including the GPO, City Hall and Dublin Castle. The tour also covers the War of Independence when Michael Collins battled for Irish freedom from 1919-1921 and also includes a discussion on the Irish Civil War, 1922-1923. The tour is highly educational but also great fun and very interactive. Prior knowledge of events is not required.
Prepare to be captivated by storytelling designed to bring history to life at Glasnevin Cemetery Museum.Located 2.5km from the city centre, Glasnevin Cemetery is a peaceful oasis in bustling urban Dublin. The cemetery is one of monumental national importance encapsulating the history of Ireland and is the burial place of over 1.6 million people. Knowledgeable guides take you on a journey, visiting the graves of Daniel O’Connell, Michael Collins, Charles Stewart Parnell, Elizabeth O’Farrell, Maud Gonne and Constance Markievicz, to name a few. This tour is a who’s who of Irish history and is filled with enjoyable anecdotes and wry stories that bring it to life! Hear stories of the rogues and the rebels, the famous and the infamous, the gravediggers and the grave robbers! A visit to Glasnevin is a must, offering visitors the quintessential Dublin experience and a window into 200 years of Irish history. You will leave informed, entertained and maybe even a little enlightened.
Welcome to the party! A traditional Irish house party is the perfect introduction to Dublin, with great entertainment and a warm and friendly atmosphere. You’ll enjoy good food, local musicians, storytellers and Irish dancing on an evening out that’s unlike any other you’ll experience in Dublin.
Cycle to the most breathtaking views in Ireland without getting out of breath. Our e-bikes are great fun, easy and trusty on the tarmac or the trails. We mix the insider tracks and tales of this truly amazing peninsula while taking you to unrivalled panoramic views away from the crowds surrounded by nature and beauty.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.