All it takes is a little outside-the-box thinking to experience Budapest’s most popular attractions as never before. Culture Trip’s handpicked tours and experiences offer a novel take on the Hungarian capital’s key sights.
With so many iconic landmarks – including the Neo-Gothic Hungarian Parliament and Baroque Revival-style Széchenyi Baths, to name just two – it can be tough to get an original take on Budapest. Culture Trip’s curated selection of experiences include putting your camera skills to the test on a photography tour and uncovering the city’s Communist history. These innovative tours and activities guarantee a unique perspective and unforgettable memories of your time in the Hungarian capital.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Budapest has one of Central Europe’s largest Jewish communities, and this four-hour walking tour spotlights its rich Jewish cultural and culinary heritage. With a food-loving guide, explore the old Jewish quarter, a Jewish ghetto in World War II and now a hip neighbourhood. Admire the Neoclassical streets, see Dohány Street Synagogue and WWII memorials, and taste Hungarian-Jewish staples such as flodni (apple, walnut and poppy-seed pastry). Enjoy a Jewish lunch and finish with a kosher pálinka (fruit brandy) at a trendy ruin pub. This walking tour is limited to eight people for a small group experience.
Journey through Hungary’s fascinating Communist history on this in-depth historical walking tour of Budapest. Over the course of three hours, your expert guide will immerse you in Hungary’s turbulent past filled with victories, failures and struggles, from the rule of Big Brother to the fall of the Iron Curtain and everything in between. Visit the area surrounding the Hungarian Parliament Building and hear stories about WWI, WWII, the Hungarian Revolution of 1956 and the collapse of the Soviet Union as you walk the streets of Budapest and visit a private exhibition hall to see glimpses of daily life and witness the Communist propaganda people once lived under. Go back to the good old times when we drove Trabants, drank spirits at work, lived in block flats, stood in Banana Lines, had two passports, coupon books, no TV on Mondays and no freedom of speech. Experience the build-up to 1956 uprising, follow the marches, relive the battles, hear the stories!
A three-hour photo tour through historic Budapest is a great way to get a feel for this vibrant city on the banks of the Danube. The tours are generally very small, so you’ll have plenty of hands-on instruction and one-on-one time with the photographer.
Experience Budapest’s alternative culture and underground art on a small group cultural walking tour. Learn about Budapest’s street art, architecture and graffiti scene. You’ll uncover Budapest’s fascinating underground cultural life on this small group walking tour, and see hidden places like the synagogues in the Jewish quarter. The tour also visits street art galleries and fashionable coffee shops and bars. Alternative Budapest shows visitors not the usual sights, monuments and historical landmarks that other tours show you, but takes you deeper, further and more underground. Our tours aren’t about the past; they’re about what’s happening now.
This tour starts at the entrance of the museum, at the chocolate fountain. Every guest takes a delicious sweet, holds it under flowing chocolate and eats it. In the Rákóczi Knighthall, we spend time looking at the Rákóczi paintings and we taste a special Hungarian chocolate.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.