This big Greek city is surrounded by valleys, woodlands, vineyards and hidden hilltop villages ready for you to explore. Here’s a round-up of the best routes.
Take a big sniff of the air in Thessaloniki and you’ll have no doubt that you’re in Greece. The city, though the second-biggest in the country, is surrounded by nature: hills and woodlands that pump out unmistakably Greek smells. They come from the hiking trails’ quaint agricultural villages and areas producing Greece’s famous olives, olive oil, honey and wine. Explore the hidden groves and forests in the warm sunshine, marvelling at beehives and beautiful flora and fauna. Take in views of the sprawling city and beautiful Thermaikos Bay below. Here’s our round-up of the best places to go hiking in Thessaloniki. Some are set, timed routes, others let you wander more freely. However you do it, it’s time to earn those mezze dishes and cold sunset beers!
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Elia – Agios Pavlos – Petros Rock – Elia Beach (4hrs)
Get started with this easy but exciting route. It leads from the beach in Elia in Halkidiki to the church of Agios Pavlos (St Paul) and onto breathtaking views of the peninsula from high Petros rock. The path snakes through luscious woodland, beside turquoise coastal waters and into a classic Greek field of olive trees. You can enjoy some history too, as it’s believed St Paul passed through the town on his way to Rome and blessed the church’s spring.
Seih Sou Forest aka Kerdrinos Iofos
Known as Thessaoliniki‘s “lungs of the city”, this garden forest makes for a lovely scenic wander. Start 15 minutes outside of the city centre in the village of Agios Pavlos (not to be confused with the church of the same name) and head into sun-dappled woodlands for a splash of nature. There’s no specific route so it’s fun to explore the path, meadows and expanses of trees, until you’re ready to head easily back to the nearby hustle and bustle.
Parthenonas – Neos Marmaras (4-5hrs)
This hike isn’t for the faint-hearted, but we assure you it’s worth the trek. The trail begins on the middle finger of the Halkidiki peninsula, in the old hilltop village of Parthenonas – a lovely place you can enjoy before your walk. Work your way down with spectacular views of the village and sea, passing olive fields, woodlands and an old water mill. You can also follow the river down the mountain, for a shorter, although rougher, trail.
Nikiti – Agios Nikolaos – Nikiti (4hrs)
Starting beside the school in Nikiti, a few miles up the coast from Neos Marmaras, this circular route takes you inland through hills and woodlands to the pretty little village of Agios Nikolaos and a lovely church of the same name. On the way you can enjoy those most Greek of aromas, olives and honey, as you make your way through olive trees and forest beehives. Pick this one if you want to see lots of nature in one afternoon.
Porto Carras – Ampelones – Porto Carras (5hrs)
The most coastal route of the bunch, head to Porto Carras and back via Ampelones for unrivalled views of that beautifully blue Aegean sea. It’s great to spot the coves and beaches as you amble through the high hills in the sunshine. There’s a vineyard or two plus more magical woodlands to enjoy. It takes a long five hours but its peaceful, untouched nature at its best.
It’s worth the one hour drive out of Thessaloniki city to reach this area steeped in Greek history and legend. Mount Olympus is a national park with 46 impressive peaks reaching 200m high. We recommend the Prionia Trail which starts in Litochoro, a town ensconced within the mountains. Head to the Enipeas Canyon and onto the Prionia Trailhead through lakes, valleys and ancient monasteries. You’ll reach the highest peak Mytikas, presenting stunning views of the UNESCO Biosphere Reserve and that beloved Med in the distance. It’s a Greece-lover’s dream.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.