This is it. You’ve booked your plane ticket and hotel and are ready to embark on a fun adventure in the Greek capital. But with its collection of archaeological sites, museums, art galleries, laidback cafés and bars on demand, you might not know how to start exploring Athens. Here is a 5-day itinerary in the Greek capital where you get to see the city highlights and enjoy the best of what Athens has to offer.
Start off with the biggest landmark in Athens, the Acropolis. This complex of temples perched atop the Sacred Rock offers a fascinating insight into ancient Greece, as well as fantastic viewpoints over the city. The site includes the Theater of Dionysus, built in the 4th century B.C. and the Odeon of Herodus Atticus. Once you are done sightseeing, make your way to the historic district of Plaka, where you can wander the small streets lined with old and renovated neoclassical mansions. Don’t forget to climb your way through Anafiotika, the charming Cycladic-like district under the Acropolis. End the day in the vibrant square of Monastiraki for some people-watching before having dinner in the colorful neighborhood of Psyrri.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Start the day early with a visit to the Acropolis Museum after a delicious breakfast. Head to Takis bakery where you can select a variety of pastries and goodies before heading across the street to Drupes & Drips for a coffee. Once you are done with the museum, head towards Hadrian’s Arch and the often-forgotten site of the Temple of Olympian Zeus. Next, set off to the Marble Stadium or Kalimarmaro to learn all about the fascinating history of the stadium and the modern Olympic Games before going the Zappeion and the National Gardens. Make your way towards Syntagma square and the Parliament house before heading to the Museum of Cycladic Art. End your exploration with a refreshing drink at the museum’s cafeteria or head to the busy Syntagma square for a well-deserved dinner downtown.
This is the day where you can combine some sightseeing and architectural wonders. Start off at the Benaki Museum, where you will learn about the Greek culture from prehistory to the 20th century. Afterwards, make your way to Panepistimiou avenue where you can discover the impressive neoclassic buildings of the Numismatic Museum, the University, the Academy and the National Library before making your way to the National Archaeological Museum on Patission Avenue. You can definitely take advantage of your position and wander the streets of Exarcheia where you will get to see some of the best examples of Athenian street art before dark.
Time to get acquainted with the Monastiraki and Thisseio districts, filled with ruins of the Roman Agora, the Tower of Winds and the Stoa of Attalos. Stroll around the impromptu lines of street vendors in Thisseo before wandering the flea market and the antique shops surrounding the Abyssinias square. Stop for a quick souvlaki break on the square before exploring Psyrri by day. Hop on the metro green line and head towards Piraeus to discover the picturesque district of Kastella, where it feels like time has come to a standstill. Jump off at Faliro and make your way to Mikrolimano, lined with fish shops and restaurants, where you can enjoy a delicious lunch along the waterfront. Follow the meandering streets taking the time to admire the old charming houses before making your way down to the port of Piraeus to catch the metro back to the city. Opt for a small taverna in Plaka where you can dine under the stars.
Take a welcome break from the busy city, by heading out towards Cape Sounio to see the Temple of Poseidon. The drive allows you to pass through the Athenian Riviera and along the coast before reaching the sacred site on the Attika peninsula. Take the time to explore, breathing in the fresh air while admiring the views. Have lunch there or at a nearby taverna before making your way back to the city. Take it easy and do some souvenir shopping, revisit a beloved area or simply relax.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.