Germany promises the ultimate holiday for road trippers. The country’s roads meander through picture-postcard meadows, mountains, and vineyards, and are dotted with fairy-tale castles, UNESCO sites, and cultural and historical icons. Wherever you drive, the road itself is the destination. So get behind the wheel and let the adventure begin!
As far as scenic drives in Germany go, the Romantic Road (Romantische Straße) is unrivaled, both in beauty and popularity. This 400 (248.5 miles) km stretch of road packs in the gems of Germany’s nature, culture, and history. The swiftly changing landscapes and amazing surprises en route almost always exceed the imagination and expectations of road trippers. The adventure starts at the Bavarian city of Würzburg known for its Residence. Other notable attractions on the route include the romantic town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber, the beautiful medieval city of Augsburg, the historic town of Dinkelsbühl, Harburg Castle, the Wieskirche Pilgrimage Church, the most famous castle in the world – Neuschwanstein, and the gorgeous Hohenschwangau Castle, among others, before culminating in the rolling uplands of Allgäu. En route, road trippers are treated with jaw-dropping scenery, merry festivals, and delicious food.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
As evident from its name, the 1200 km (745 miles) long Castle Road is dotted with castles, and shrouded in myths, legends, and fairy tales. The route starts at Mannheim, the confluence of the rivers Neckar and Rhine, and meanders across the border to the beautiful Prague in Czech Republic. Masterpieces along this route that prompt travelers to stop and stare include the castles of Heidelberg, Bayreuth, Nuremberg, and Bamberg, 1000-year-old Castle Hotel Clomberg, impeccably preserved medieval town Rothenburg ob der Tauber, the four-castle city of Neckarsteinach, Plassenburg Castle in Kulmbach, and more, totaling a whopping 70 castles.
The Wine Route (Weinstraße), in one of the sunniest, warmest regions in Germany, is a dream road trip for wine connoisseurs. It starts at Schweigen-Rechtenbach, an imposing sandstone gate on the French border, and ends at Bockenheim. Travelers on this 85 km (52.8 miles) long route are rewarded with wine-tasting sessions, cheerful Autumn wine festivals, and scrumptious Rhineland Palatinate cuisine. As an added bonus, travelers get to feast their eyes on rows of cherry blossoms and lush, rolling vineyards on both sides of the road.
Fairy Tale Route
Childhood bedtime stories come alive for travelers on Germany’s iconic Fairy Tale Route, stretching for 600 km (373 miles) from the town of Hanau in Central Germany to Bremen by the North Sea. The route connects the spots where legendary story-tellers Brothers Grimm were born, lived, studied, and were inspired. Trace the steps of the Pied Piper (Hamelin), visit Snow White’s hometown Bad Wildungen and Red Riding’s House in Alsfeld, and take a selfie with the Four Musicians in Bremen. The route is dotted with picture-postcard towns and as many as 20 castles and palaces, many of which have found their way into the stories we all grew up on.
Germany’s oldest scenic road, Schwarzwald Hochstrasse, is a fascinating 60 km stretch connecting Baden-Baden and Freudenstadt. This route cuts through the impenetrably dense Black Forest at an altitude of 600-1000 meters. As you drive along, you’ll have no trouble believing that little Hansel and Gretel encountered the wicked witch somewhere around here. The road offers jaw-dropping views of the dark forest, Rhine plains, and the majestic Vosges Mountains, and is dotted with lakes, waterfalls, restaurants, as well as several sports and recreational facilities.
The Alpine Route has witnessed more incredulous ‘Wow!’s than most other stretches. This drive, from Lindau on Lake Constance to Schönau on Lake Königssee, is 450 km (280 miles) of stunning natural beauty as well as its fair share of cultural attractions. The most popular stops along the way include Bad Hindelang, Füssen, Oberammergau, Bavaria’s favorite ski resort – Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Tegernsee, Bad Tolz, and of course, the deserved climax of an unforgettable road trip – Königssee, arguably the most beautiful lake in the country.
If you expect to see a vast amount of citrus fruits on the Limes Route, you will be disappointed. In reality, the route is named after līmes, which refers to fortifications or border defence in ancient Rome. This road runs from Rheinbrohl to Regensburg, a total of 500 km (311 miles), and connects monuments and museums relevant to the Roman era across 80 towns. Prepare to be transported to a fascinating epoch as you explore imposing walls, watchtowers, and gates.
Buckle up for a fiery drive on Germany’s Volcanic Route (Vulkanstraße)! This 280 km (174 miles) long route from River Rhine to the Eifel Mountains links regions shaped by gushing, spewing volcanoes. En route, there are around 350 eruption sites and 40 monuments offering landscapes, relics, or information associated with volcanoes. The unique topography boasts sinkholes, crater lakes, domes, geysers, mineral springs, carbonated springs, and more, which are of special interest to geology-enthusiasts but will fascinate any curious mind.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.