There is a lot to love about Hamburg, one reason is its proximity to other fantastic regions worth exploring. In a couple of hours or less you can reach a number of locations that would enhance your Hamburg holiday. Fairytale castles, sandy beaches, a remote island, centuries of history: you name it, Hamburg has it in easy reach. Read on to find out how best to spend a day away from the city.
We would like to warn you beforehand that Hamburg to Heligoland could be a hectic day trip, as the journey time is three hours one way on average. Though ideally you should stop in Heligoland for at least one night, if you are pressed for time and have only a day to spare, we urge you to go anyway. The sheer gorgeousness of the destination—imposing red sandstone cliffs, merry little clapboard houses and sparkling blue oceans as far as the eye can see, plus duty-free shopping—would make the effort worth it.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
The city of Schwerin has almost come to be synonymous with Schwerin Castle, a drop-dead gorgeous piece of architecture sitting like a dream on its own island in the Schwerin Lake. While this sight is reason enough to make the 110km journey from Hamburg worth it, Schwerin has several more attractions in its canon to make your day even better. Spend an idyllic day exploring its 12 lakes, a perfectly-conserved old town, the 13th-century Gothic cathedral and the historic Schelfstadt quarter.
To help you cover as much ground as possible in a day in Lübeck without the need to rush around, we have drawn up this itinerary for you. It allows for time to see the stunning pieces of architecture the 12th century Hanseatic city is famous for, as well as pointing out achingly photogenic spots around the city and providing tips on where to enjoy delicious local cuisine, including the Lübeck marzipan specialties.
We came up with this itinerary for enjoying the best sights, sounds and tastes of Rostock in a day, to allow you more time to enjoy this gem of a city and worry less about how to fit everything in. In the course of a typical day in Rostock, you will see gorgeous gabled houses, ancient city gates, and churches, and even treat yourself to an aerial view of this lovely town. Top off your day with a visit to the beach and a stroll along one of the most picturesque harbors you are ever likely to see.
Step off the touristy path and explore Germany’s largest and most important fruit-producing region: Altes Land (Old Country), only about an hour’s drive from Hamburg. Forget about must-see lists and simply soak in the simple beauty of this unique countryside. Explore massive orchards punctuated by tiny, picturesque hamlets crisscrossed by bike trails, and treat yourself to fresh fruits and delicious homemade snacks.
Sankt Peter Ording
The lovely resort town of St. Peter Ording in the Schleswig-Holstein Wadden Sea National Park doesn’t need an introduction for kite-surfing enthusiasts. However, if you are looking for a more relaxed day out, St. Peter Ording is perfect for you too. If you can tear yourself away from the colorful beach chairs, walk the soft, rolling dunes and perhaps take a rejuvenating dip in a sulfur spring.
Timmendofer Strand can be combined with Lübeck, or better still, enjoyed by itself over one or multiple days. This four-mile (7km) stretch of coastline welcomes you to be as active or lazy as you wish to be. You could spend hours sprawled out on the soft sand and treat yourself to a spa session, or get your blood pumping with thrilling water sports or golf. What’s even better, a study conducted by travel agency TravelBird found that Timmendorfer Strand is the cheapest beach in Europe; so this day-trip is big on fun and delightfully low on expenses.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.