Munich is as renowned for its classic Bavarian architecture as it is for its annual celebration of beer – Oktoberfest. The capital of Bavaria, and Germany’s third largest city, it maintains a relaxed pace that makes it a pleasure to go out without ever feeling crowded or rushed, even at weekends. Nature is also right on the doorstep, so if it’s outdoor pursuits you’re after, these hotels make the ideal base for hiking the mountain trails and surfing at the Eisbach. Here’s our pick of the best hotels in Munich, bookable with Culture Trip.
It makes total sense that a stylish central hotel such as this should house one of the coolest places to drink in town. At the award-winning Amano Bar, lovingly curated mid-century furniture provides the perfect setting to browse the innovative cocktail list, which makes creative use of a variety of eclectic ingredients including sesame, popcorn and mascarpone. The drinks slide down even easier when accompanied by some of Munich’s finest DJs.
At the behest of King Ludwig I in 1839, renowned industrialist Joseph Anton von Maffei commissioned the king’s favourite architect to build a first-class hotel in Munich. Today, Ludwig’s Suite remains the most exclusive and is frequented by visiting celebrities and heads of state. Fans of fine dining secure their favourite table at the three-Michelin-star Atelier, helmed by chef Jan Hartwig. The menu has clearly been crafted by a maestro, featuring a star dish, the evocative Memories of My Apprenticeship, comprising quail galantine, Perigord truffle vinaigrette and side salad.
Conveniently located by the central train station, it may be Munich outside, but Cocoon promises to transport guests to the mountains as they step through the door. The decor is a playful alpine lodge, while ensuring comfort and style. It’s great for working in the communal areas, where the light changes according to the time of day, and there are plenty of romantic opportunities in the form of various packages, including a stay in a retro ski chalet.
The decor at this former post office varies between room types. The Classic opts for a bright modern feel with splashes of colour, while the Superior is more muted, with beds begging you to curl up in. The emphasis is on being pampered – whether that’s a massage using products from the prestigious Parisian brand Carita, or tucking into a dry-aged steak at the Délice La Brasserie.
During extensive renovations in 2020, this hotel near Maximilianstraße and the National Theatre used the opportunity to replace all single-use items in the bedrooms and bathrooms with eco-friendly alternatives. New artworks in the rooms feature mountain images by contemporary local artist Felix Rehfeld, and you have access to complimentary Mercedes-Benz bikes to explore the city. Although well placed for access to Munich’s finest restaurants and cafés, there’s an in-house Matsuhisa restaurant, by world-renowned chef Nobu Matsuhisa, with a selection of his sushi dishes also served at the rooftop bar.
Formerly housing the postal service and a royal telegraph station, this historic site is ensconced as part of Munich’s rich history. Nowadays, it’s firmly established as one of the funkiest hotels in town with a seriously convenient address. Opposite is the central station, and a few minutes’ walk leads you to the main shopping street. The fourth-floor wellness area offers a respite from the city, where the quiet terrace awaits post-sauna guests and NENI serves Israeli-inspired cuisine.
Bold by name and by design, this bolthole in the centre of town exudes a no-nonsense modernity. Unusually for a central hotel, many of the 85 rooms have balconies or a roof terrace, incentivising a bout of fascinating people-watching. A short walk away is the highly Instagrammable former Slaughterhouse, covered in colourful street art, which has been repurposed as a festival site. Top and tail the day in the BOLD Hotel lobby café, grabbing a hot coffee in the morning and a pre-bed schnapps.
A fine example of neo-Renaissance architecture, this quaint hotel has a loyal following amongst world travellers and romantic couples, lured by the Turret rooms and the attentive staff. Located in the heart of Nymphenburg, it’s moments away from the resplendent Baroque Palace, former summer residence of the Bavarian rulers. The adjacent Nymphenburg Palace Park is cited as one of the most exceptional examples of garden design in Germany.
Bursting onto the Munich hotel scene in 2018, Marias Platzi has carved a niche out for itself with its soothing non-formulaic decor in the bedrooms. Blonde wood and blue-grey hues make any weary traveller feel at home. Based in the trendy Au-Haidhausen district, the first independent inn of the hop-loving brewery Ayinger Privatbrauerei is conveniently next door. Across the road on Mariahilfplatz, the local market is held on Wednesdays and Saturdays.
As the name suggests, this hotel is slap bang in the heart of Munich’s action. Guests new and old are welcomed by bronze wiener dog mascot, Waldi. Close by is Marienplatz, the city’s main square where you’ll find the Neues Rathaus (New Town Hall) designed in a neo-gothic style. Restaurant Oléo Pazzo specialises in Mediterranean cuisine and makes a cracking homemade pasta. Garnished with herbs from the hotel garden, this dish is best enjoyed – weather permitting – on the outside terrace.
Still looking for a place to stay? Book one of the best boutique hotels in Munich now, via Culture Trip. To discover plush holiday apartments in Munich, check out our pick of the best holiday apartments in Munich, Germany, bookable on Culture Trip.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.