Bursting with art, culture, and gastronomy, Toulouse or “La Ville Rose” is certainly worth a visit. Here at Culture Trip, we don’t see why your cultural experience should stay outside your hotel room. Toulouse has plenty of quirky, luxurious and historic hotels that will offer fascinating French experiences before you even put down your luggage. Read on to discover the best hotels in Toulouse for every type of traveller — bookable with Culture Trip.
Hôtel de Brienne, which takes its name from the nearby Canal de Brienne, marrys old and new design references. Think exposed terracotta tiles, original chandelier cornicing and a lobby lined with both traditional French portraits and modern sculptures. Walk-in waterfall showers are highlights of the rooms that overlook the hotel’s courtyard. Enjoy a breakfast of fresh and local produce in bed – the violet jam is highly recommended – before heading out to explore attractions like the Basilique Saint-Sernin and Capitole de Toulouse.
Darth Vader wall lamps, lipstick messages on mirrors and picture frames repurposed as headboards – these are a few of the eclectic touches at Mama Shelter. Entertainment is of high importance at this hotel, located in a former cinema in the picturesque district of St Aubin. A 45-seat movie theatre offers free viewings for guests, while you can enjoy a game of foosball and a live DJ set in the guitar-adorned bar, before heading to the parasol-packed rooftop that serves local wine. Finish your day with Saucisse de Toulouse (fresh sausage) in the Mama Restaurant to fully immerse yourself in the city’s culture.
Though renovated only three years ago, the Père Léon still carries its early 20th-century charm with its tastefully modern and sensitive decor. Originally a wine bar, the location of its brasserie dates back to 1905 when Léon Sentenac, the grandfather of the current owners, founded “Aux caves du Père Léon”. It still contains wine up to 200 years old, the bottles having been protected during the renovations to preserve a century-old coating of dust, making it a brilliant spot for wine-lovers and a site of true cultural heritage.
Right in the heart of Toulouse, with an exceptional view of the river, Hôtel des Beaux Arts is perfectly placed and boasts an excellent restaurant offering authentic, South West French cuisine. With complimentary breakfast included in the room price, you could find yourself enjoying your morning coffee on a balcony overlooking the peaceful Garonne river. Its homely furniture and unusual decor adds to the overall ambiance of luxury, comfort, and originality.
A former 17th-century convent, the Grand Hôtel de l’Opéra in Toulouse plunges you into a luxurious, atmospheric, elegant setting. With its warm red decor, unique suites and the possibility of having a balcony overlooking the Place du Capitole, this hotel exudes class, quality, and comfort. Make use of their spa facilities for the ultimate relaxing experience right at the centre of the bustling city.
Offering luxurious yet authentic 1930s charm, and superbly placed a stone throw’s away from the central Place du Capitole, Le Grand Balcon combines style and authenticity with a playful touch. In memory of perhaps one of the most famous pilots of the early 20th century, Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (author of Le Petit Prince), the Suite Saint-Exupéry has been reconstructed to resemble his original 1930s hotel room. This fascinating building is as much a site of cultural significance as it is a lovely place to stay.
Carmen Bellot contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.