Sandwiched between France’s top vineyards and Atlantic beaches is Bordeaux – a prime location for a city break. It’s known for its namesake red wine, art museums and cathedral spires. Stay at one of these B&Bs and make this elegant, artsy city feel like your second home.
Being home to over 350 historic monuments, a wine museum and diverse eateries makes Bordeaux the perfect destination for a weekend getaway. Book a guesthouse for an intimate stay in this historic city – from elegant 18th-century castles to cosy townhouses complete with spas, swimming pools and private gardens.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Hosts Julien and Camille will welcome you to the intimate L’Escapade, housed in an old stone building in central Bordeaux. Three guest rooms, each with a private bathroom, are eclectically decorated and are the perfect example of a chic French apartment. Before walking to the many nearby sights, enjoy the complimentary fresh continental breakfast, perhaps on the private terrace, overlooking the bell towers and spires of the city.
Steps from the Jardin Public with its lake and botanic garden lies La Belle Endormie (or Sleeping Beauty) B&B. This bright property, with Balinese decor, is also home to the calming Le Boudoir de Mandala Spa on the second floor with its infrared sauna and hammam. After sampling the fresh organic breakfast in your room, a quick 10-minute drive will bring you to the nearby Rue Sainte-Catherine for some shopping.
Those looking to experience their best Marie Antoinette life should stay at this classic B&B in a picturesque 18th-century castle. The four all-suite rooms are surrounded by a private garden with an ornamental pond. Start the day savouring a continental breakfast on the terrace in fine weather. The friendly owners Sylvie and Sebastian are happy to provide recommendations, and the nearby tram will take you to the city centre in 10 minutes.
This homey B&B in a traditional 19th-century stone villa boasts a large swimming pool amid a lush garden. The four rooms are individually decorated but all come with high ceilings and private bathrooms. Enjoy tasty homemade jams and bread from the complimentary breakfast beside the pool or in the kitchen. Dinner can be requested by reservation – otherwise, relax in the lounge in front of the fireplace, sipping on Bordeaux’s best wine.
Casa Blance is a stunning B&B that effortlessly mixes old and new in a 200-year-old building on an attractive street in Les Chartrons neighbourhood in Bordeaux, only a few minutes’ walk from the public garden. There are five guest rooms, all very large in size, and three of these have some form of private outside space (one has a little balcony, another a rooftop, and the third a terrace). The decor is incredibly stylish throughout. Breakfast is served in the dining room each morning, and there’s the option to book ahead for seasonal dinner.
A stunning boutique hotel meets bed and breakfast in Le Clos d’Emile on one of Bordeaux’s quaint, chic streets. It looks as smart from the outside as it does within. There are five thoughtfully decorated guest rooms, each with a queen or king-sized bed, fluffy bathrobes and soundproof windows. A breakfast buffet is served in the dining room each morning. Owners Richard and Géraldine are wine enthusiasts themselves so you’ll be able to book vineyard tours and wine tasting through the front desk.
Les Chambres d’Art is an arty B&B in the heart of Bordeaux that offers two guest rooms, each equipped with a corkscrew plus wine glasses for that bottle you bring back from the nearby vineyards. The walls are decorated with works by local artists, hence the name. They regularly host art workshops and gigs on site. A full homemade breakfast is included in the room price. Expect hot croissants and freshly squeezed orange juice alongside baguettes, cold meats, cheese and coffee.
La Course is an exquisite guesthouse in the heart of Bordeaux. If you’re looking for a really special occasion, book the Manon dans les Étoiles room – it is a bedroom under the stars, literally. Located at the top of the house, this room has a glass roof so you can gaze up at the twinkling night sky, and also contains a private terrace with a swimming pool. The other rooms are equally as gorgeous, decorated with individual touches, including canopied beds and freestanding tubs. Pains au chocolat, fresh bread, jams and yoghurt are among the breakfast offerings, plus La Course even has its own wine cellar for tastings.
La Maison Odeia is bathed in so much natural light it’s easy to forget you’re inside. This beautifully decorated B&B is owned by Camille and William, who have furnished the house to a high standard with modern Scandinavian decor. Located on a residential street with an attractive terrace and jacuzzi, this property lends itself well to those wanting to be close to the city centre but without the noise. The owners also offer covered on-site parking for €10 per day.
Villa Desvaux de Marigny is an ideal spot if you’re looking to stay just a little outside of the main drag but still within leisurely walking distance. Meticulous attention is given to each detail at this guesthouse – from the op art wallpaper to the homely potted plants. Enjoy breakfast on the leafy terrace during the summer months. The owners are incredibly helpful with assisting in points of interest. Parking is available, too – a real bonus for those travelling to Bordeaux by car.
Christy Taylor contributed additional reporting to this article.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.