Avignon is one of the most interesting cultural towns in France, with fascinating medieval monuments, an enormous annual performing arts festival, brilliant restaurants, and an animated night life. If you’re planning a trip, read this guide to its very best hotels.
Set within the largest private gardens in Avignon, La Divine Comedie is an eclectic hotel and spa, just a short distance from the famed Palais des Papes. The hotel has a traditional yet playful feel, with classic design making way for modern artworks and furnishings. The five distinct guest suites feature luxury comforts, such as deep baths and king-sized beds. The expertly maintained garden is definitely a highlight, with curated flower beds and ancient trees, perfect to lose yourself for a few hours during your stay.
Found within the historic city walls, La Maison Grivolas is just a short walk to many of the city’s best known attractions. Each of the three suites have plenty of fantastic features, from fully-furnished kitchenettes, blackout curtains and even a shared private pool. If you’re looking to fill up before hitting the city, be sure to make full use of the delicious complimentary breakfast, served either in the dining area or the comfort of your own room.
Located on the picturesque Barthelasse Island, this secluded sanctuary is ideal for visitors wanting a truly relaxing stay. Previously a traditional 17th-century mansion, it has been fully renovated into the charming bed and breakfast it is today. Each of the individually styled rooms comes with a contemporary design and features a complimentary breakfast. If you’re looking for an extended stay, consider one of Mas de Capelou’s holiday apartments: with fully fitted kitchens, large living area and separate rooms for their guests.
Based in the heart of Avignon’s old town district, Villa de Margot Chambres is an upmarket guesthouse with direct access to Pont Saint-Bénézet as well as the famed Jardin des Doms. The former walled residence has a Mediterranean aesthetic and offers guests a welcome retreat from the nearby busy streets, with two bedrooms and two suites available to book. If you’re looking for a romantic getaway, be sure to book the Chambre Romantique, a beautiful guestroom overlooking the striking Palais des Papes.
Well suited for large groups, L’appartement de l’Atelier d’artiste is a wonderfully restored artists apartment in central Avignon. Spread over three levels, the apartment features four individual bedrooms, three bathrooms and a maximum capacity of eight guests at any one time. Offering the perfect base for exploring everything Avignon has to offer on your own terms, the apartment has two lounge areas for you to relax in, as well as a fully-fitted kitchen for preparing some delicious homecooked meals.
Opened by couple Julie and Thomas following a loving restoration, today L’Oriflamme offers an easy option for longer visits in Avignon. The studio apartments are furnished with everything you’d need for extended stays and are just a short walk from many of the city’s hotspots including the Les Halles market. With a great knowledge of the local area and a personable service, the owners are more than happy to recommend some of the region’s best activities including cycling tours, mountain biking and hikes around the picture-perfect countryside.
With its origins dating back just over 400 years, the Hotel Le Cloitre Saint Louis is a living, breathing piece of Avignon history and an excellent option for guests wanting to embrace the city’s vibrant heritage. Today, the hotel is an enticing four-star retreat in the city centre, with its own private garden, outdoor pool and delicious in-house restaurant. A popular choice for events, the hotel has the original 16th-century courtyard available to hire, perfect for wedding receptions or business conferences.
Found along Avignon’s charming Rue de la République, the Regina offers guests a creative blend of tradition in a contemporary setting. The staff are happy to book tours to some of the region’s best attractions, including the Saint-Bénézet bridge, the Arc de Triomphe in Orange and the Palais des Papes to name a few.
This is an updated version of an article originally written by Colette Lewis.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.