Avignon, in southeastern France, served as the residence of the popes while Rome took a break from 1309 to 1377 – the Palace of the Popes remains one of the most important examples of medieval gothic architecture in Europe. A sense of grandeur continues to run through the walled city, with the Opera House and City Hall being among the other architectural draws. If you want to experience the finer side of Avignon life, there are dozens of luxury accommodation options. Here, we reveal some of the most palatial spots in this part of Provence – which you can now book with Culture Trip.
Green-fingered travellers will be in their element at this upscale, boutique bed and breakfast, which boasts the largest private garden in Avignon. The walled garden, which brims with mature trees and lush palms, is the perfect place to unwind after a day of sightseeing, with a 15-metre swimming pool and a jacuzzi. In terms of accommodation, there are five exquisitely furnished suites in the main mansion – the Aphrodite room features a spectacular round bed and a private terrace.
Feel right at home in this smart yet welcoming property with a serene atmosphere, from the leafy terrace to the rustic-chic bedrooms and suites. It benefits from a peaceful location just out of town, in the quaint village of Villeneuve-lès-Avignon. Le Prieuré is part of the prestigious Relais & Châteaux portfolio, so you can expect a high level of service from check-in to check-out. As with other Relais & Châteaux properties, food is a big focal point – and the hotel boasts a Michelin-starred restaurant with an excellent selection of wine from the Rhone Valley to acquaint yourself with.
As the name coeur suggests, this refined guesthouse is nestled in the heart of Avignon. The 17th-century property boasts a bright veranda, a peaceful garden, four spacious rooms and two roomy apartments. All of the rooms are south-facing with garden views, and two have private terraces. The guesthouse’s accompanying wine bar is well worth checking out, with a well-curated wine list and delicious platters of meat and cheese to dig into.
Wake up to the sound of birds chirping at this authentic 19th-century farmhouse, which has been impeccably restored and converted into an intimate guesthouse. The photogenic stone property on the outskirts of Avignon is part of a handsome estate, peppered with mature trees and shrubs. The swimming pool is another highlight. The stone brickwork can be seen inside the building, with exposed walls running throughout. There are five spacious rooms, including a large family suite, plus a lounge and dining room with period and contemporary furnishings – all making for an attractive mix.
Park yourself in the centre of town at this unique property, where you can pick between three stylish suites of varying sizes. Each residence features a jacuzzi along with a kitchenette and access to Netflix, so you can relax and unwind after a day in town. The larger duplex suite has lofty ceilings and plenty of space to entertain.
Play at being a willing castaway at this upscale island hotel. The Bastide de Bellegarde is set on the Barthelasse, Europe’s largest river island, and offers luxury accommodation and a restaurant all year round. The four suites are an Instagrammer’s dream, with exposed stone walls and the original wooden beams creating a whimsical scene. The leafy grounds at this historic spot are sublime, with a large swimming pool to top things off.
The spacious, light-filled rooms at this central property are the perfect place to kick back and relax after a day treading the cobbles. There are five rooms, all with crisp white interiors – rooms Jeanne and Marie have private patio spaces. Breakfast is included in the price and has a mix of local produce on offer. This is served in the glass-roofed kitchen, or in the courtyard during the warmer summer months.
Unwind at the end of the night with a tipple at one of Avignon’s top bars. Looking for more luxury in the surrounding region? Book into one of the best luxury hotels in Provence with Culture Trip, as you explore the most beautiful towns in Provence.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.