Marvel at the Cathédrale Notre-Dame de Rouen and the second-largest collection of French Impressionist artworks at the Musée des Beaux-Arts in the Normandy capital of Rouen. These hotels will get you close to the pulse of the medieval city.
Just one hour from Paris and an hour longer to the D-Day landing beaches, Rouen is a great base from which to explore northern France. Inside the medieval capital of Normandy, museums and markets, cathedrals and cocktails bars, Gothic churches and international chain stores share the cobblestoned streets and timbered buildings. Choose a hotel in the historic centre or a quiet apartment across the River Seine – you’ll find them all in our best picks here.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Just steps away from where Saint Joan of Arc tragically burned at the stake almost 600 years ago, this striking French Renaissance mansion invites you to discover the historic heritage of Rouen, with a side of luxury. Aside from boasting the largest indoor pool in Normandy, the spa features a steam bath, sauna, gym and treatment rooms. Continue the serenity in the en-suite bathrooms, where light filters through stained-glass windows into a bath set in marble mosaic.
Vintage parlour sofas and antique armoires in the guest rooms evoke this property’s past life as a 19th-century bourgeois home. A wooden spiral staircase leads down to the salon, where French classics line the bookshelf. Begin the day with a complimentary breakfast of homemade cakes and confitures, served in the walled garden on sunny mornings. The train station is a short walk away, along with the Museums of Natural History, Fine Arts and Pottery.
The location of this studio apartment on a quiet tree-lined street in Sotteville-lès-Rouen allows you to experience Rouen at your own pace, while being just a quick bus ride to the city centre. The Jardin des Plantes botanical gardens are just up the road, whilst bakeries and supermarkets are conveniently close by so you can prepare al-fresco lunches back at your apartment, with an airy outdoor kitchen area overlooking the rose garden.
Never heard of a literary hotel before? Well, this budget-friendly address near Place du Vieux-Marché, where timber-framed houses lean into the historic square, takes its inspiration from Rouen-born novelist Gustave Flaubert. The walls whisper fragments of the 19th-century writer’s most famous works, and literature lovers will be inspired by the library of over 500 books to browse. Don’t get too stuck into the books, though – the Cathédrale Notre-Dame is just around the corner, along with the eclectic nightlife of Rouen waiting to be discovered.
With all of Rouen’s main attractions on your doorstep, Hôtel Le Vieux Carré gives you a top location at an affordable price. An international shopping scene blends in with historical monuments and museums around Rue du Gros-Horloge, named for the gold-trimmed and intricately carved clock set on a Renaissance arch. Back at the hotel, the bartender waits for your custom cocktail order, to be enjoyed alongside seasonal specials in the laid-back dining room.
Campanile Rouen Mermoz is a budget-friendly option just across the Seine River from the historic centre of Rouen. Cheer on the Rouen rugby team – the pitches are right next door – or cross the Pont Jeanne d’Arc to explore the cobblestoned streets, Gothic churches and market squares of the city. The hotel restaurant is open for dinner every weeknight, where you can taste a Kir Normand, a French classic cocktail with a Normandy twist of local apple cider.
This studio apartment is the perfect little pad for a long weekend in Rouen – and the location could not be more central. Find a moment of peace in the Saint-Ouen Abbey Church, right opposite the apartment, with heaven-high vaulted ceilings and enchanting stained-glass windows, followed by a stroll through the abbey gardens to admire the church in all its Gothic glory. The studio has been tastefully decorated, giving it a home-from-home vibe, and the hosts are always on hand to point you towards local hangouts.
The building that houses the duplex apartments of Le Logis Saint Éloi is an historic monument in itself, with timber beams and slanting slate roofs, floating turrets and sculptured archways. Inside the apartments, oak herringbone flooring, white marble bathrooms and exposed beams are complemented by a modern finish and fully equipped kitchens. The city’s most inspiring architecture is at your fingertips: across the square is the 16th-century Saint-Éloi Church, and beneath the twisting roof of the Saint-Jeanne-d’Arc Church, light filters through towering walls of stained-glass windows.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.