Marseille’s hotels offer everything from luxury suites with spectacular views to stunning on-site restaurants and, of course, the tastefully decorated interiors that you would expect from the South of France. But only the very best hotels in Marseille cleverly marry elements of its vibrant city life with its seaside beauty. Read on for our top picks – bookable with Culture Trip.
One of the only three-star boutique hotels in Marseille, ALEX provides a lot of bang for your buck. The location is fantastic – opposite the TGV and Eurostar Saint-Charles train station –, the decor is modern yet friendly and the tapas bar-lounge is a slinky space for cocktail hour. Make sure you hit up the spa to enjoy its sauna, hammam, massage cabin and glass-roofed relaxation lounge.
C2 Hôtel is housed in an elegant Haussmann-style building in the Opéra neighbourhood of central Marseille, just behind the Old Port. Originally designed as a 19th-century townhouse, many of the historical features, such as frescoes and sculptures, have been retained. There are now 20 luxurious rooms inside, as well as a full-service spa and access to a private beach with sunloungers. The urban retreat also has a stylish bar and a restaurant offering five-star service.
While this boutique hotel is technically in Marseille, it is about as far as you can travel before leaving the city limits and heading into the Calanques National Park, making it a real find for a remote stay near the town. Hôtel 96 is owned by a brother and sister who have turned their Provençal farmhouse into an oasis of calm with furnishings that are both sumptuous and modern. Relax by the pool or make the most of the hotel’s sauna and massage facilities.
For a reliable, traditional hotel chain, the Sofitel in the Old Port of Marseille, with its modern rooms and attentive service, is a solid choice. The building itself is far from architecturally compelling, but its location is magnificent, with unrivalled vistas from waterside rooms. The main draw is the bar and restaurant, which both have views over Marseille’s impressive Mediterranean coastline. Rooms here are stylishly designed, with patterned headboards providing a focal point, and some have balconies perfect for an al fresco breakfast or evening drink.
Le Petit Nice Passedat is a foodie’s delight – and it doesn’t scrimp on style either. This hotel on the beach in Marseille lies on the Corniche Kennedy, and was bought a century ago by the current owner’s grandfather, who originally started a café here. The place soon expanded, and the hotel restaurant now boasts three Michelin stars and offers 65 different varieties of fish. Inside, the hotel rooms capitalise on its brilliant position by the sea, with windows looking out to panoramas of the coastline.
With a four-star rating and a fabulous spa, the nhow Marseille is everything you might want from a beach resort hotel. The bright and airy rooms feature large windows, offering stunning views of the nearby sea. Situated a little outside of Marseille on the Corniche Kennedy, it’s private and secluded, making it perfect for a chilled-out break on the coast. However, the hotel is also ideally located for a trip into central Marseille, as it’s only a 10-minute bike ride to the city’s Old Port (consider hiring a city bike). The nhow Marseille also has a good restaurant on-site, indoor and outdoor pools and a well-stocked breakfast buffet.
Sarah Warwick contributed additional reporting to this article.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.