Founded by seafaring Greeks over 2,600 years ago, signs of rich maritime history are everywhere in Marseille. There’s no better way to learn about the city’s past than by beginning your day in the bobbing waters of its charismatic Old Port. Then set sail for a voyage of discovery, sailing or yachting to hidden coves, deserted beaches, and traditional fishing villages. Each of our top trips can be reached in a day from Marseille.
Cruise past the most beautiful sights with the unique Culture Trip’s Sailing Trips.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
This humble fishing town is not only the perfect antidote to the urban bustle of Marseille, but it is also a fine example of what happens when you cross a Provençal village with the coastal allure of the Côte d’Azur. Take your pick from several beaches, including the family-friendly Plage de la Grande Mer, but the real treat can be found at the port just after sunrise. Moor up early enough to have your pick of sea bream, octopus, monkfish, and more at the small but vibrant daily fish market.
Just off the coast of Marseille, this rugged archipelago offers a quirky charm and the best views of the mainland. There is a maze-like mix of walking trails around the four islands; some are safe for families, others more suited to intrepid visitors, such as the 800 participants who race the Monte-Cristo challenge every year. Their task is to reach the Château d’If, the fortress made famous by author Alexandre Dumas in The Count of Monte Cristo.
The islands of Frioul form part of the Calanques National Park, which spans over 20km (12mi) in length along the coast between Marseille and Cassis. Some 26 limestone karsts are not only spectacular to look at, but they’re also home to over 140 protected species of animals and plants, many of which live in the blue waters below these imposing formations. Pack your binoculars and a snorkel to see how many you can spot on land and sea.
The Junkers JU 88 Diving Site
The coastal waters around Marseille provide some of the best diving experiences in France, with dozens of drops, caves, and wrecks in and around the Calanques. If you’re an experienced scuba diver, one of the most fascinating is the wreckage of Junker JU 88, found 53m (174ft) west of the island of Ratonneau. This German World War II bomber crashed in 1943 and has been remarkably well-preserved in its Mediterranean resting place.
Head east towards the Giens Peninsula to spend a day at the Hyères Islands, nicknamed Les Îles d’Or or Golden Islands. The largest of the three is Porquerolles, which, thanks to Belgian adventurer François Joseph Fournier, is the perfect place to stop for some refreshments. For not only did Fournier buy the island as a wedding present for his wife in 1912, but he also planted vineyards to celebrate.
The waters are calm and clear on this protected island named after France’s second-ever national park in 1963. No cars are allowed here, and, as the highest of the Hyères Islands, wild and rugged walks offer expansive views over the coast. You can also go hunting for some of the 17th-century forts dotted around the island. As one of the best-preserved nature and marine reserves in Europe, the island is a snorkelling hotspot.
There’s a saying in Marseille that translates as “go throw yourself into Les Goudes,” a play on the fact that this swimmers’ paradise at Cap Croisette could well pass for the edge of the earth. It won’t take you long to locate the picturesque village, where a smattering of restaurants circles the small port. Simply navigate south past the Frioul islands and head towards the Baie des Singes. A popular tourist spot, arriving by sea means you won’t have to deal with the notorious traffic jams.
This pleasant spot 15mi (24km) east of Marseille is often ignored in favour of the higher-profile town of Cassis, but this unsung gem is worth adding to your maritime itinerary. Not only is it the birthplace of French cinema, but it is also where Provence’s favourite pastime, pétanque, was first played. A museum located in the port tells all. Back on board, enjoy a picnic in the secluded coves of Île Verte.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.