A narrow street located between the posh area of Frederiksberg and the hip area of Vesterbro breathes Parisian air into Copenhagen. When locals want to trade Scandinavian style for Paris’s romantic vibes, all they have to do is ride their bikes down to Værnedamsvej – a shopping street also known as ‘Little Paris’.
Stretching from Gammel Kongevej to Vesterbrogade, Værnedamsvej is only less than 10 minutes away from the city centre yet it feels like it’s miles away. Boasting French restaurants, flower stores and cosy cafés with chequered tablecloths, the cute and small street is known as Copenhagen’s ‘Little Paris’.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
In the late 1800s, the street was known for being home to numerous butcher shops that served their discerning clientele up until the first half of the 20th century. The residents of Frederiksberg, the city’s posh neighbourhood, would go to Værnedamsvej and buy high-quality food and drinks from Juuls Vin og Spiritus, a liquor shop that has been offering the best of spirits and drinks in Copenhagen since 1926.
The area first began its Parisian transformation in 1973, when Lycée Français Prins Henrik, a French international school, moved to Frederiksberg Allé in central Copenhagen. But it wasn’t until the early 2000s that restaurants and boutiques started popping up one after the other while adding to the French atmosphere that visitors absorb.
Les Trois Cochons, one of the area’s most popular restaurants, opened its doors in 2005. Housed in a former butcher shop, the stylish restaurant is known for bringing southern French cuisine to Copenhagen. In the same year, a new building, which is part of Lycée Français Prins Henrik, opened on Værnedamsvej 13. Suddenly, the air of the small street was filled with French conversations, the smell of tarte flambée and a real Parisian vibe.
Nowadays, those looking to escape Nordic minimalism can enter a Parisian world filled with plenty of places to visit. From a chocolate shop and a bakery to clothing shops and art galleries, the street brims with life from early in the morning.
Start your day with a cup of coffee and a flaky croissant at Granola, an elegant café decorated 1950s style, and allow yourself to forget that you’re in the heart of Scandinavia. With Blomsterskuret’s colourful flowers decorating the pavement, a great variety of cheeses and other delicacies to be found at Helge‘s shop, plus wine bars such as Falernum, it won’t take long before you’re enchanted by the street’s unique character.
End your trip to Copenhagen’s ‘Little Paris’ at Café Viggo, a perfect spot that functions as a bar, restaurant and café. They offer a long list of high-quality wines and dishes accompanied by the authentic atmosphere of a French bistro.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.