The Danish capital’s Vesterbro neighbourhood is known as the city’s coolest, and nowhere sums up its scenester status more than this strip of beer shops and boutiques.
This kilometre-long stretch of road in Copenhagen was once among the sketchiest, known for attracting and servicing the seedier elements in the city. Drawn by cheap rents, waves of students, artists and creatives soon set the Vesterbro neighbourhood on a hipper and more happening path. While it has not completely shaken off its saucier side, Istedgade has firmly established itself as one of the coolest streets in the Danish capital, dotted with vintage clothing stores, quirky cafes and art galleries. Starting at Central Station, join us as we check out the best bits.
Destinations Unlocked:Let our travel expert Stefano help you find your perfect Culture trip
Looking for an expert's perspective?Uncover my top 3 recommended places from each continent on the map.
1. GuatemalaAn express adventure for those with limited time off. Prepare yourself incredible experiences. You will hike a volcano, visit mayan temples and witness a ceremony and take in beautiful colonial Antigua.
2. BelizeA quick trip not too far away for those seeking a relaxing mini break. You will have plenty of free time to relax but also some awesome activities to experience the rainforest and the caribbean sea.
3. MexicoAn exciting mini trip exploring the lesser known colonial towns of central Mexico. This is hte perfect trip for someone with limited time off and still wants to turn on explorer mode and do something different.
1. EcuadorA remarkable 8 days adventure through the Andes and the Amazon rainforest. The best choice for adventure seekers wishing to visit the 2 most iconic areas of South America, in only 1 week and no flights.
2. PeruAn alternative itinerary to classic Peru, from Cusco to Arequipa. This itinerary is great combination of highlights Cusco and Machu Picchu with the lesser known Arequipa and Colca Canyon.
1. ItalyThe ultimate Italian experience from the vibrant streets of Naples to the breathtaking sceneries of the Amalfi Coast followed by Matera and down to Puglia with its golden beaches, intense flavours and fascinating destinations.
2. ScotlandEmbark on this great adventure starting from London all the way to Scotland with a true Scottish experience made of breathtaking sceneries, whisky tasting and ..lots of fun! Ideal for train lovers and explorers.
3. PortugalA wonderful train journey around Portugal, from the romantic city of Porto to the Douro Valley, to the beautiful Aveiro all the way to Lisbon and Sintra. The perfect trip to train, culinary and culture lovers.
1. South KoreaDiscover incredible temples, mountains and modern cities on this 10 day adventure. This trip is perfect for those seeking immersion in the cuisine, culture and natural wonders of South Korea.
2. ThailandFrom Bankgok to Angkor Wat to Ho Chi Minh City and everything in between - adventure through the heart of South-East Asia. Taste the delights, see history brought to life and unwind on a Mekong River cruise.
3. Sri LankaA fantastic adventure that showcases Sri Lanka's fantastic landscapes, wildlife and flavours. With 3 epic rail journeys, 3 UNESCO heritage sites and time to relax, this trip has loads to offer at a great price
1. MoroccoAn epic journey across Morocco: from Casablanca to Marrakech, through the blue city of Chefchaouen to the wonders of the desert and deep to the High Atlas Mountains - this trip has it all! Ideal for true explorers!
2. EgyptFrom Cairo to Aswan, this trip brings the land of the pharaohs to life. You'll visit the Pyramids, Valley of the Kings and Luxor Temple and cruise down the Nile in style. This is the perfect way to explore Egypt.
There are no prizes for guessing what this store sells. It was founded by a former bartender who finally fulfilled his ambition to combine a bar with a boutique – and what a fabulous boutique it is. Interiors draw heavily from 1930s New York, creating the perfect vibe for leisurely browsing the carefully curated collection of gentleman-leaning accoutrements. A shot or two from the long list of bourbons, and you’ll soon feel confident enough to pull off that trilby.
Far from your run-of-the-mill pizzeria, Neighbourhood has become the place where in-the-know locals choose to chow down on pizza. Everything you consume here is certified organic – from the dough to the drinks – sustainable and locally sourced. The base is thinner and lighter, while toppings tend towards raw or pickled. You dine elbow-to-elbow on communal tables – it can get busy – giving the place a meet-your-neighbour vibe. A great vinyl collection and top cocktails seal the deal.
With candy-cane awnings, a Parisian-style street-facing cafe and a healthy splash of Gallic chic, this charming boutique hotel could have been transplanted from a Left Bank arrondissement. However, the guest rooms go a little more mid-century Scandi in style, with a swish yet cosy retro feel. Impeccable eco credentials include sustainable energy, water-efficient systems and organic fabrics. There’s even table tennis on the fifth floor if you’re up for a game or two.
Few things signal the hipsterism of a neighbourhood more clearly than craft beer, and this shop sells dozens of them. The Social Beer Shop offers shelves upon shelves crammed with brews from all over Denmark and beyond. If you feel lost among the cornucopia of colourful cans, friendly in-store cicerones (beer experts) are on hand to guide you through. There’s takeaway draft beer, too, and some specialist spirits if that’s more your thing.
No self-respecting hipster neighbourhood is complete without a kitschy and cool vintage shop, and they don’t come much better than Funky Junky. This Vesterbro second-hand store offers the best selection in the city of one-off pieces from the 1950s, ’60s and ’70s – mainly Danish and mostly over the top. Whether it’s retro threads or tongue-in-cheek homeware you’re after, this is just the place for a rummage.
Cider bars are few and far between, and that makes this lovely spot all the more special. It has perhaps one of the most extensive cider collections in Europe, and once you take a look, you’d be inclined to agree. Passionate and knowledgeable staff are on hand to steer you towards your tastes, or there are regular tastings where you can sample a bunch. It’s a cosy, quiet and homely place where you can nibble on fennel sausage and organic burrata while you explore the many types of fermented juice.
Volcanic Iceland Epic Trip
meet our Local Insider
HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN A GUIDE?
WHAT DO YOU LOVE ABOUT YOUR JOB?
It's the personal contact, the personal experiences. I love meeting people from all over the world... I really like getting to know everyone and feeling like I'm traveling with a group of friends.
WHAT DESTINATION IS ON YOUR TRAVEL BUCKET-LIST?
I have so many places on my list, but I would really lobe to go to Africa. I consider myself an “adventure girl” and Africa feels like the ULTIMATE adventure!
Every CULTURE TRIP Small-group adventure is led by a Local Insider just like Hanna.
KEEN TO EXPLORE THE WORLD?
Connect with like-minded people on our premium trips curated by local insiders and with care for the world
Since you are here, we would like to share our vision for the future of travel - and the direction Culture Trip is moving in.
Culture Trip launched in 2011 with a simple yet passionate mission: to inspire people to go beyond their boundaries and experience what makes a place, its people and its culture special and meaningful — and this is still in our DNA today. We are proud that, for more than a decade, millions like you have trusted our award-winning recommendations by people who deeply understand what makes certain places and communities so special.
Increasingly we believe the world needs more meaningful, real-life connections between curious travellers keen to explore the world in a more responsible way. That is why we have intensively curated a collection of premium small-group trips as an invitation to meet and connect with new, like-minded people for once-in-a-lifetime experiences in three categories: Culture Trips, Rail Trips and Private Trips. Our Trips are suitable for both solo travelers, couples and friends who want to explore the world together.
Culture Trips are deeply immersive 5 to 16 days itineraries, that combine authentic local experiences, exciting activities and 4-5* accommodation to look forward to at the end of each day. Our Rail Trips are our most planet-friendly itineraries that invite you to take the scenic route, relax whilst getting under the skin of a destination. Our Private Trips are fully tailored itineraries, curated by our Travel Experts specifically for you, your friends or your family.
We know that many of you worry about the environmental impact of travel and are looking for ways of expanding horizons in ways that do minimal harm - and may even bring benefits. We are committed to go as far as possible in curating our trips with care for the planet. That is why all of our trips are flightless in destination, fully carbon offset - and we have ambitious plans to be net zero in the very near future.